recovery discs netbook

nobbyhigo 15:51 31 Jul 2013

hi i have the samsung nc10 running xp home and rough at that There is no recovery partition but i do have the recovery disc and the drivers disc Can i reformat with the discs for a clean start after i back up my "bits" I would like to know how to start Reintalling xp is no problem but with these discs i am a bit vague as to what they can do thanks

nobbyhigo 16:07 31 Jul 2013

No it wont have that pressing f4 just makes it hang a bit ,then load windows as normal

nobbyhigo 16:32 31 Jul 2013

no go tapping f4 or f11 ,same results just boots as normal Nothing on hard drive with a partition It leads me to think i aint got one , So maybe back to using recovery disc thanks

alanrwood 19:40 31 Jul 2013

Just boot from the disk and follow the instructions. The Instruction book has this info. As I remember the HD does have a recovery partition but I swapped the Hard Drive for an SSD so not 100%.

woodchip 20:56 31 Jul 2013

I have a nc10. you need a External CD drive then Go to BIOS and change it to boot from CD as first Boot Device followed by Hard Drive, save settings and Exit Starting with XP CD in the Drive, You can choose to do a Repair, this will load over the top of the original OS after it boots from CD let it check for a operating System, when it finds it Click on the one it finds then press R for repair.

You will should not lose any data, but will need to load all updates from the version of win XP on the cd

It will most likely sort your problems

nobbyhigo 11:53 01 Aug 2013

thanks woodchip I have a old xp disc that obviously didnt come with the nc10 could i use that to repair thanks

alanrwood 14:13 01 Aug 2013

You said that you had the Recovery Disks so why would you want to use something else. You are only asking to complicate things. If the XP didk is an OEM one it will not work anyway.

alanrwood 14:26 01 Aug 2013

Have you got the "Samsung Recovery Solution" on you NC10. How to set back to factory status is covered in the NC10 instruction book in quite some detail.

woodchip 15:14 01 Aug 2013

If you Have both Discs you only need to use the oem XP disc, one of the two to do what I said other disc will have Drivers on it as well as maybe a full restore but if you use the one that restores it will wipe your Data. you need to use the disc that as XP operating system on it. it should tell you one the disc

nobbyhigo 15:59 01 Aug 2013

ok i have the repair discs and i have found the instructions in the manual Thanks for all your help

alanrwood 18:09 01 Aug 2013

Don't forget to back up your data first and make a note of any serial numbers for software you have already imnstalled

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?