Recovery Discs Naff - Can't restore PC

Bertie B 18:53 04 Jul 2007

Hi there - as I'm in a bit of a pickle I'm looking for ideas!

My 4 year-old Packard Bell 5067 PC has been grinding to a halt for some time and needs the HDD reformatted and OS [XT Home] re-installed. However, it appears that my Master CD's, created when the PC was new, are NAFF as after the recovery disk runs it's process and asks for Master Disc No 1 it fails to see it.

Problem is that the PC did not come with XP on a disk - it was all on the HDD and the only source is the master CD which won't work.

System Restore is also refusing to work so that avenue is also closed.

It appears that I am going to have to buy a new OS and start afresh but how does one format the HDD and also - with the PC just booting up with DOS - will it aotomatically load the new OS when put in the DVD Drive??

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers

Bertie

Mac70 19:37 04 Jul 2007

If your pc is set to boot to Cd first it will do so. If not you would have to change the BIOS settings, which you enter at the opening screen (POST). Usually you have to press DEL or F12.

Unless you are a game player, have you considered Linux, instead of spending money?

Bertie B 20:44 04 Jul 2007

Mac70

Thanks for that = can't wait to get it sorted as I am staggering along presently on a 9 year-old IBM! painfully slow!!!

Bertie

xania 09:13 05 Jul 2007

Have you tried looking here for help?

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?