Recovery Discs'

74elmtree 15:43 18 Mar 2008

Do you get a recovery disc with every new computer? to enable you to reinstall your OS

Guady 15:44 18 Mar 2008

I always have but can't really say for definite that it happens all the time. I think you can usually make your own back up cd's as well - instructions should probably be somewhere in the PC manual.

Mac70 16:56 18 Mar 2008

These days pc's are shipped with a Recovery Partition. At least HP, Compaq and probably Packard Bell, are.
Dell comes with some Restore program made by Norton, but it's not Ghost.
All come with a one time application to create a Recovery and a full restore discs.
I advise doing this, as Dell sent a set of discs through for free, HP/Compaq charge nearly £30 for them.

ventanas 17:03 18 Mar 2008

I don't buy a machine unless it comes with a full installation disc (not a recovery image) but Dell seem to have perfectly sussed now. I have three (1 desktop and two laptops) All three came with a full set of Vista DVD's. With these I can either carry out a full reformat and reinstall of Windows, or use them to access the recovery image on the hard drive partition. All depends how quickly you want to do it. The choice is there, and its very easy to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?