recovery disc will not work

bowl 22:24 02 Feb 2007

Hi I have got a Packard Bell comp running media xp. I got a blue screen shutdown and restarted after about 10mins it shutdown again and refused to restart. I tried to start it in safe mode with no joy so thought I would use the recovery disk that I made when I first got it but it starts by saying it is checking the drive and then shuts down and reboots and does it all again. the comp did not come with any disks but it is on the hard drive but I cannot access it any ideas please thanks in advance

woodchip 22:29 02 Feb 2007

Have you been into BIOS and set the Comp to look at CD DVD drive asfirst boot device followed by Hard Drive 0

bowl 22:39 02 Feb 2007

Thanks Woodchip
will have a go at that tomorrow as not with that comp at the moment

surfmonkey #:@}© 23:01 02 Feb 2007

depending on how old your pc is if it under 2 years old packard bell normally ship pc`s with a built in recovery from d: drive partition check in start/allprograms for (packardbell)Recovery Program and click on Next to continue.2.Choose between Partial Recovery or Complete Recovery and click on Next

bowl 22:08 03 Feb 2007

surfmonkey #:@}©
thanks for your answer 15 months old have put the recovery disc in drive it starts to recover then reboots. does the whole process over and over again.

woodchip
Have tried that with the same result thanks

Bowl

bowl 22:05 05 Feb 2007

Hi nothing works at all now comp starts Pakard Bell screen loads with press f2,f5,f8,f10,and so on but press any key and nothing happens if you dont nothing happens does this mean I will have to buy a windows media xp disk and will I be able to load it if I do
Bowl

surfmonkey #:@}© 22:10 05 Feb 2007

no just get hold of a windows xp disc from some one and boot from it an do a windows repair
click here

bowl 22:17 05 Feb 2007

Thanks surfmonkey #:@}© will try to do that will let you know what happens
Bowl

Strawballs 22:21 05 Feb 2007

On the list of F numbers you gave there is not F11 which is the one that Packard Bell use to access the hidden partion if not on their web site you can download a program to floppy that will boot straight to the hidden partion.

wjrt 22:49 05 Feb 2007

had problem ages ago trying to reload XP and found that using a ps2 keyboard instead of a usb one could reload

bowl 20:44 06 Feb 2007

wjrt Ive got a spare keyboard so will give that a try tomorrow thanks

Strawballs
f11 is there but none are answering to the keyboard. No floppy drive on this machine how easy is it to take one from another older comp I am getting desperate now. It will have to be the shop soon thanks again

Bowl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?