Recovery Disc vs OS Disk

scott26985 12:14 21 Feb 2007

Whats the differnt between a Recovery Disc and Windows Operating Systrem Disk (eg XP) when you buy a new pc?

vinnyT 12:28 21 Feb 2007

A recovery disk usually points to a (hidden) partition on your disk which has all the restore files on it, when you run it, it will restore your pcs hard disk to the exact state it was in when it left the factory. This means all progs, branding, etc that was on the pc when you brought it, including any trial software, will be restored.

A retail brought disk (eg from pc world in a shrink wrapped box) just has the os on it. If you (re)installed the os from this only the operating system would be installed, no branding (ie internet explorer would not be have HP on the title bar), no additional progs that the manufacturer pre-installed (ie no anti-virus, ms works, etc).

Personally, I prefer the retail disk route, this way you only install what you want, no 60 day trial version of sw you don't want anyway.

Hope this helps.

scott26985 12:47 21 Feb 2007

The reason im asking is im getting a new pc today with Vista on it. I think it comes with a recovery disk. I was hoping I could put vista onto my other pc using this disk, is that not possible?

Eric10 13:26 21 Feb 2007

A restore CD for one PC will install drivers specific to that PC which would cause problems and possibly failure to load Windows if 'restored' on a different PC.

More importantly it is illegal to install the same copy of Windows on 2 PCs, either from a retail version or from restore, (unless you purchase a multi-licence version) and so it would fail activation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?