Recovery disc install on problem PC Help please

golfpro 15:42 19 Aug 2006

I have a relatively new PC, but have been having a few problems with it since I bought it a couple of months ago.
I won't go into details, but last week I phoned the service Hot Line and the guy at the other end suggested I insert the product recovery disc and do a complete new install from this, to see IF? it clears the problems.
However he did say that it would revert back to the original state, and I would loose all my programs. I can still use my old PC which has most if not all my programs still installed, and the ones like the itunes music library, I have already backed up to my ext hard drive.
If it doesn't work, then I will be taking it back to the shop anyway, and they would probably loose my programs as well.
My question is this, is there anything I should do or be aware of before and after putting in the recovery disc, I have never had to do this before.

Fingees 17:04 19 Aug 2006

Just make sure you have made a list of things like Email addresses, Names, passwords Etc, So you can re install anything you have put on since buying it.

It will put it back to as it was when you first aquired it.

Tanzy_uk 17:12 19 Aug 2006

Just ensure that you have backed up everything you need, some of the AV software settings should be noted. Also if you have bought any software downloads make sure you back up serial numbers and product keys. Could also be benificial to backup your web browser favorites and your cookies, easy to do if you are running Xp. just look in C drive (if that is your boot drive) documents and settings, your user account named folder e.g fred, and the folders are there. you can also back up your desktop which is handy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?