Recovery Console

Winston Churchill 10:01 02 Jan 2003
  Winston Churchill 10:01 02 Jan 2003

I am trying to format my hard drive (c:) through the Recovery console, but when i type in the line (c:\windows format c: \q \fs:ntfs) it comes up with a format y/n? i say y and press enter/return and then after a few seconds the line goes back to c:\windows? anyone know how to solve this?

brianthesnail 10:06 02 Jan 2003

Is this the drive with the operating system on?

It is not possible to format a drive using an operating system which is on that drive.

Brian

garybaldy 10:13 02 Jan 2003

i will follow this with great interest as i have tried to format drive c which has all mydata on but i had the same problem

€dstow 10:15 02 Jan 2003

Windows will not deliberately commit suicide - which is effectively what you're asking it to do.

€d

garybaldy 10:22 02 Jan 2003

is it possible to back up the operator system on drive d from drive c if so how (newbie)

brianthesnail 10:45 02 Jan 2003

The easiest way to move your system is to mirror it on to another disk using Drive Copy which comes with Powerquest Drive Image.

Dead easy to use. The most difficult part is juggling the drives about in the machine.

Brian

Winston Churchill 12:35 02 Jan 2003

I have got only one hard drive, how then can you wipe the hard drive?

Mastermind 12:57 02 Jan 2003

Create a Windows XP MS-DOS Boot Disk using the same procedure as you would when formatting a floppy disk, except check the Windows XP MS-DOS Boot Disk option. Once you have created that, restart with the disk in the drive. This should enable you to boot into DOS. When you see the prompt type "format C: /s".

€dstow 13:16 02 Jan 2003

As well as what Mastermind says, I believe that you can do it from the XP CD. Reformat and/or re-install are some of the options at the load up of the CD. What you cannot do is re-format from within Windows itself.

If you are intending re-installing, it is easy to do it from the XP disk. It will format and install in a continuous process.

€d

KCR 13:27 02 Jan 2003

I have suffered from the same problem and could not reformat using the XP disk. The only way around it I could find was to remove the partition/recovery console and then use the XP disk to reinstall XP using the option which first reformats the hard drive. As I recall there are two installation/repair functions on the XP disk. I think you need the second one so choose install at the first prompt then the relevant option at the second stage. Sorry if this is a bit vague - it was a while ago and came at the end of a very long session at the computer to sort this out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?