Recovery after virus damage

ceris 16:17 18 Jul 2006

My laptop has had severe problems with viruses, and I would like to just uninstall everything, and use the recovery disks to bring it back to life. Is this the best approach? I am a total beginner in this area of computer knowledge, so any help would be appreciated.

Also, if this is a correct approach, I do not know how to uninstall. Can I just boot the computer with a recovery disk in the drive?

Thanks,
Ceris Hamilton

ArrGee 16:20 18 Jul 2006

You've pretty much answered the question yourself! Yup, you should be ok to boot the computer from the recovery disc. Depending on the make/model you have,you should have options for complete recovery (including format) or a repair to the exisiting install.

ceris 16:31 18 Jul 2006

Okay, now I know how to do it. But, I am wondering if it will fix the problem or not. I know it is a hopeless aspiration, but I just want my little computer to be like it was straight out of the box!

DJsmoothmoney 17:01 18 Jul 2006

If you still want the apps you already had on your laptop then use the pc fix-it disc. You can buy one of ebay for about £9.00. or If the apps came on a disc and you have all the drivers, software discs and Windows XP disc then use a killdisc and wipe your hard drive clean. Then reinstall XP, and your drivers and your software.

Diemmess 17:20 18 Jul 2006

If you have a recovery disk (and a following wind) use it first. At best it will do exactly as you hope for.
At worst it won't work or you may still have some problems.
If it came with the laptop it will probably have bundled software on that or on a separate CD.

Be careful about formatting and wiping things clean.
You will still have to install not only the drivers for that motherboard, but Windows and any apps you use, the last two from the full application software CDs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?