Recovering from virus attack

ianeon 12:42 05 Apr 2009

Good morning - I run XP Pro - I have recently been infected with various bugs - I have managed to get rid of them using Super Anti-spyware( brilliant programme ) and AVG anti-virus programme.
Unfortunately parts of my computer aren't now working. These are WINDOWS DEFENDER, WINDOWS UPDATE, SYSTEM RESTORE and INTERNET EXPLORER. I am looking for some general advice on how to return my computer to its normal set-up. Can anyone help ? - Thank you for your time - Ian

Taff™ 12:49 05 Apr 2009

If you`ve done a reboot and the abve stil;l applies you still have a problem. Download Malwarebytes Free from click here and run it on a quick scan first after updating.

ianeon 14:05 05 Apr 2009

Thank you for that - I ran Malwarebytes - but that didn't solve my problem

mfletch 15:09 05 Apr 2009

Sometimes when you remove a virus you also remove a LSP Link download this free LSP fix and run it,

No Internet connection so you will have to use a different computer to download it then put it on a CD/USB then put it on the Computer that has not Internet connection

Run it to see if there is a LSP problem

click here

LSP-Fix helps you to correct Internet connection problems resulting from buggy or improperly-removed Layered Service Provider (LSP) software

ianeon 17:40 05 Apr 2009

mfletch - thank you for that, but I have an internet connection. Because Internet Explorer stopped working I am using Google Chrome and Firefox.
As I said my main problems are Windows Update and System Restore not working.

brundle 17:41 05 Apr 2009

Use DialAFix, run everything. click here

mfletch 18:30 05 Apr 2009

I see but you did not say that in your post,

mfletch 18:33 05 Apr 2009

Download IE8 and install it

click here

Desperate-Dan 18:37 05 Apr 2009

Try to scan with DrWebCureIt from here: click here

ianeon 18:44 05 Apr 2009

mfletch - Thank you, apologies for my explanations.
I tried IE8 but I get the same message - got to close because of an error - Error number is 0x80070002 - I googled that and tried the various solutions to no avail

ianeon 18:47 05 Apr 2009

brundle - I tried "DialaFix" - it indicated that lots of dlls were unrecognised and that I should E-Mail them for a solution - which I will later - thank you for that link, it seems a very intersting prog.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?