Recovering from System Crash

AP22 14:29 15 Apr 2008

My Sony Laptop has crashed and I am trying to re-install Office XP. However, when I insert the CD and click on Setup, it comes up with an error message and says that Another set up is already running. Any clues please?

(Running Windows XPSP2 + IE7 and must have deleted some system files during a spring clean!)

beeuuem 14:36 15 Apr 2008

Download and run the installer cleanup from fclick here then try reinstalling Office.

AP22 14:47 15 Apr 2008

Beeuuem,
Thank you. I have downloaded but when I double click on the file my laptop says "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation". What should I change please? Grateful for your help.

beeuuem 15:59 15 Apr 2008

Try =======
1. Open a CMD.EXE prompt.
2. Type msiexec /unregister and press Enter.
3. Type msiexec /regserver and press Enter.

Or
Reinstall the Windows Installer from click here
There are other possible solutions but try those first.

beeuuem 16:04 15 Apr 2008

For the command prompt go to Start > Run, type (or copy and paste) the command and click OK.

AP22 16:12 15 Apr 2008

You're being most helpful. Thanks.

I've managed to get my Office XP setup disc to run (following your instructions) now it gewts so far and the machine then freezes and the disc access light stays on without flickering. I have previously had the blue screen of death and a Kernal Stack Page Error message. Am I looking at a memory problem here?
Alan

beeuuem 16:38 15 Apr 2008

From my limited knowledge this could be RAM or the Hard Drive.
You could try running Checkdisk.
In My Computer right click on the C Drive> go to Properties > Tools tab > Check now. Tick both boxes. You will be told to reboot for the check to run. If there are problems with the hard drive these will be reported or repaired.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017