Recovering the Original Operating System

giovanne 18:07 03 Aug 2010

I buy a laptop to my friend. My problem is the original OS was replaced by another OS which is not genuine product and already been reformatted many times and lost the original back up..I find original product keys at the back of the laptop which is genuine product from Microsoft..MY question is how could i put back/download the original OS for the my laptop the original OS windows XP home edition..Is it possible to download the original one and how could i also download the system Drivers etc. for the laptop to work..what steps to do first & how do i start pls. help..thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 03 Aug 2010

Borrow a XP home CD

Install using the original product Number.
Download the drivers from the manufacturers web site.

woodchip 19:30 03 Aug 2010

Microsoft are not in the Software Business to supply free software, They are in it for MONEY. your Original OS should have been backed up or Imaged so it could have been Restored. click here

lotvic 20:48 03 Aug 2010

You need to borrow from a friend a XP Home OEM cd and then you can install it using your own product key from the laptop label
Read the guide click here it has pictures of each screen as you install so you will learn how it is done.
You have not told us the make and model of the laptop but for the drivers you need you can download them from the makers website and save them to a file until ready to install them.
i.e. if it is a Dell you go to the Dell website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone