recovering old emails from laptop HD?

Jimbi 12:30 15 Feb 2006

I have just suffered a total failure of my laptop. I have purchased a new laptop and transferred the old hard drive into a usb caddy. I have managed to recover the old outlook calendar data by copying the files over.

I cannot define how to recover my old emails. I used outlook express as my default email program on the old laptop. Help!

xania 12:33 15 Feb 2006

You may find help click here,
although I think you will need boot using your old hard drive in order for the program to recognise your files.

VoG II 12:34 15 Feb 2006

Do a search for *.dbx

Gongoozler 12:38 15 Feb 2006

Find all files with the extension .dbx. These files should all correspond to the folders in Outlook Express. There should also be a file called Folders.dbx, this contains the information needed for Outlook Express to decompress the other files.

Gongoozler 12:45 15 Feb 2006

If you don't want to import the emails into Outlook Express, dbxtract will extract them from the dbx files to make them readable as individual eml files click here click here, or for a more up - to - date version click here

Jimbi 12:57 15 Feb 2006

I have searched for dbx files already and cannot find any. These files only created with a backup?

VoG II 12:59 15 Feb 2006

They may be hidden files. To search for hidden or system files in Windows XP:

Click Start, click Search, click All files and folders, and then click More advanced options.

Click to select the Search hidden files and folders check boxes.

Gongoozler 14:04 15 Feb 2006

In XP, by default these files are in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{a very long string of numbers and letters}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone