Recovering lost product key from my own software

Nickelback1 12:14 01 Oct 2006

I've rebuilt my old PC but lost the product key to a piece of software that I need to re-install.
I have the discs, but how do I find my product key from the discs?

sean-278262 12:17 01 Oct 2006

You cant do that. If the PC was still installed as it was before reinstalling windows then you can use belarc or similar apps however now you have wiped the PC the only way to try is to try restoring things and hope that it all works out. But this is a hit and miss affair. Best get looking for that key. If you registered the program then you may be able to call support and see if they can give you the info.

Totally-braindead 12:25 01 Oct 2006

I was waiting to see if anyone replied to this as this was my understanding as well. If the software is on the computer then something like SIW can usually give you info on codes etc but if you need the code to install it I don't know what you can do.
I know that some game software warns you that if you lose the code they will not replace it.
I'd be interested to see if anyone does know of a way to do it.

sean-278262 12:33 01 Oct 2006

T-B I agree, as far as I can see the only option is to chance your arm and call them telling them the situation.

Nickelback1 12:34 01 Oct 2006

It was supplied with the PC originally six years ago, I never registered it (yes, I know now I should have done so!), the PC manufacturer has now gone bust & I've replaced the hard drive twice as its failed.
I've run Belarc & there's no record of it - so now I'm stuck & guess that I will have to put it down to experience or lack of !

Totally-braindead 12:38 01 Oct 2006

Sorry. What software is it? Perhaps someone can come up with a freeware version that does something similar saving you the cost of repurchasing it.

Totally-braindead 12:41 01 Oct 2006

By the way Nickelback1 I don't tend to register software either so I wouldn't feel too bad about that and anyway the chances are the company wouldn't have helped in anycase.

Nickelback1 12:42 01 Oct 2006

It's Microsoft Office 2000 & I wanted to get it installed so that I can buy the new Office 2007 as an upgrade not full retail version.

sean-278262 12:43 01 Oct 2006

I dont register anything either. Just many people do so it ususally is one of the better options. Do you have a receipt for the software if so that may be enough for some manufacturers to reissue you one.

Totally-braindead 12:50 01 Oct 2006

If you are a student or have someone in the household who is a student you may be entitled to a student licence of Office which is much cheaperclick here. You could also consider Openoffice which is free. Or perhaps just get Microsoft Works if you don't need everything that is on the office disk. Or you could look for a second hand version of Office.

Just some ideas.

sean-278262 12:52 01 Oct 2006

Go to a car boot sale. I have seem office 2000 going for £5 in the past and older versions too. Ebay is an option too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?