recovering lost files/photos

ranch 13:39 05 Aug 2008

My previous laptop (Toshiba 2410 satellite XP Home) crashed after I tried to remove some infected files that had been detected by AVG Free scan.
Everything was wiped. Indicated "Isass exe - system error. An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function".
I used the Toshiba product recovery discs and reinstalled Windows and started whole set-up from scratch. Now works normally but all previous wiped out.
Is it possible to rescue those lost files/photos as some had not been backed up at the time?

woodchip 14:47 05 Aug 2008

I may be able to help with the lost Photos if you E-Mail me via the little envelope to the left of this post

David4637 13:36 07 Aug 2008

A good idea to use Acronis in the future, you could have recovered your OS in 15 minutes. David

Abel 15:14 07 Aug 2008

I've no idea if this'll work but, it worth a try.
click here.

Abel

rawprawn 15:23 07 Aug 2008
  kdt 15:57 07 Aug 2008

don't know whether o&o unerase2 on sept.issue of computer shopper dvd would help?

ranch 15:38 08 Aug 2008

Thanks for the advice. I tried the Recuva download but it did not recover anything of use, just blank jpegs and headers etc. No files or photos.
My loss was total following the crashed described previously and then I reinstalled windows from the recovery cd.
Don't think I'm going to have any luck with this one. Tks.

ranch 16:05 08 Aug 2008

Regret yours not recognised. Could not run it on download. Sri.

Mad Mick 16:11 08 Aug 2008

Email Woodchip. His programme got my photos back.

skidzy 19:33 08 Aug 2008

Woodchips program is very good as is my favourite Testdisk Photo Rec click here

However,your going to be extremely lucky to recover those photos/files now that you have restored the computer.

The more you write to the drive,the less likely anything will be recovered.

As said earlier,treat yourself to Acronis True Image,and you wont be in this situation again.

ATI at a very good price today click here
however this price may change tomorrow.

ranch 07:47 09 Aug 2008

Tks. I have tried to contact Woodchip thru his link but it doesn't seem to be working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie