Recovering files after XP re-installation

commodorejim 23:14 27 Jun 2007

Hi everyone, if someone could help me out on this, I'd be very grateful. Recently my laptop stopped working and a friend who professes to know "a little about computers" advised me to use the recovery console. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember the administrator password so my friend advised me to re-install XP from the CD which came with the laptop, confidently declaring that my data files would remain unaffected.

After we sat through the installation process, blankly staring at the screen, we were presented with XP, working again but all my files were gone. Is there any way of recovering these files or are they gone for good? Somebody mentioned a program called "PCMesh Data Recovery and Wipe" which might help? Thanks in advance.

umbongo(uk) 23:21 27 Jun 2007

your files are still there
if you just did a windows reinstall over the top of corrupted one

i posted this in another thread

double click my computer
dclick -local disk c:
documnets and settings
look for your old folder name open it should see files tht were on before
shift em were you want

commodorejim 23:27 27 Jun 2007

Thanks for your response. I'm away from my machine right now, but I'm pretty sure we looked in the folder with my name in Documents and Settings and just saw the My Music and My Pictures folder. I'll have a look tomorrow evening though and let you know if this worked. Thanks again.

umbongo(uk) 00:14 28 Jun 2007

no just looking in the folder tht is on desktop wont work you have to go into
c drive follow above post to the letter
and look in the folder there. as it will show the :admin folder: and :all users: plus :all users.windows: folder plus the named folder of what you typed in when installing
ie garrys computer and possibly what you named the computer before the reinstall dereks folder
only one named folder there means you totaly wiped it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017