Recovering Deleted Files for Outlook

Onizuka 19:16 07 Jul 2006

Before I even explain my problem let me say that Yes, I am well aware that everything should be backed up. However, I didn’t (because I was never able to work out how to back up everything in Outlook – the Microsoft Knowledge Base is not that clear to the non-technical user), and now I’ve lost all my Personal Folders in Outlook Today, as well as all my Tasks and Notes. The problem arose when I ran the Kaspersky Virus check (as I do every week) and it showed a “Dangerous Object” in my Documents and Settings\Outlook.pst folder. It was a Trojan within a spam e-mail. I deleted it and then emptied the Recycle Bin, thinking that it would be permanently deleted – a bad mistake. I did not realise that the file contained my Contacts List, all the Personal Folders I have created for all the numerous people with whom I exchange e-mails, all the Notes I have created (vital historical information), and the Tasks I have set up (how will I ever remember them?).

I assumed (wrongly, as it turned out) that doing a System Restore would solve the problem, but, of course, it didn’t. I have downloaded around six free file recovery programs but none has worked. “Superfilerecover” looked as though it might as it restricted its search to the recycle bin but it kept crashing, resulting in the usual message to Microsoft that it had terminated.

Should I “un-restore” and try the recovery programs again or is there anything else I should do. Or am I condemned to trying to re-create all the lost data from memory (my brain – not a computer)?

VoG II 19:19 07 Jul 2006

You could try click here

For future reference Outlook Backup click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?