recovering data

breckenridge 12:19 05 Apr 2007

i had a trojan on my machine which Norton picked up. There were 2 options of how to handle the trojan, one was delete, the other was quarantine. I chose delete, Norton told me to restart the machine, which I did and the computer would not restart, a pale blue screen was all that was displayed. I reluctantly ran my MESH supplied recovery disk which then left me with a "clean" hard drive, however, I was unable to reload BT internet etc. I have since fitted a new SATA hard drive which is working fine. My question is, is it possible to recover the data from my old hard drive without going into the motherboard, ie., is there a suitable 'docking station' to plug into my USB port and is there suitable software that easily identifies the data on the disk. Your help would be greatly appreciated, thankyou.

Slimboyfat1972 12:42 05 Apr 2007

hi there first off im presuming that all you want to is recover data off your old hard drive without connecting it to your motherboard,if this the case then there is a brilliant piece of kit that lets you connect a hard drive via usb and take any data off it the item is a usb2 ide hard drive adaptor
hope this was of use to you,if you need a link to the site then ill send you one
thanks

breckenridge 12:48 05 Apr 2007

sorry, i forgot to mention that the old drive is also sata, a very early one i presume as the machine is 3 years old and when i purchased the new drive, i needed to buy a patch lead for the power supply connection to it.

Technotiger 12:53 05 Apr 2007

This is what you need ...

click here

breckenridge 13:00 05 Apr 2007

technotiger, excuse my ignorance, but is this piece of kit suitable for sata drives?

Technotiger 13:23 05 Apr 2007

Yes, a SATA adapter is available from the same supplier, if it is not already included with the kit.

Technotiger 13:25 05 Apr 2007
  Technotiger 13:27 05 Apr 2007

PS - if you are only dealing with a SATA drive or drives, then you only need the SATA kit as in my second link.

breckenridge 13:29 05 Apr 2007

many thanks for that guys much appreciated, as i mentioned in my first posting, can you recommend suitable software that will enable me to identify the 'lost' data files on the old drive in order that i can reclaim those that i would dearly love to recover, photo's etc., please?

Technotiger 13:35 05 Apr 2007

Courtesy of Google,

click here

take your pick ... I have never had to use recovery programs, so cannot recommend any in particular.

Good luck anyway.

breckenridge 13:40 05 Apr 2007

technotiger, many thanks for your help, guess i'm going to have a busy easter weekend!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?