Recovered photos-can they be deleted permanently ?

Channel 20:50 05 Nov 2010

I've used Photorec on my hard drive to find deleted .jpeg photos, and as someone said elsewhere, it recovered images from long ago.Total nearly 3000 ! BUT most of them were images I'd never downloaded/installed;eg Small images of nearly all the government, the Royal family, Michael Jackson, and icons from various websites, or book covers.How did they get there ? Surely they take up room on the hard drive that could be used more usefully ? Can I delete them permanently somehow without formatting the drive ? I was the more surprised as I have a defrag program working in the background when the PC is idle, which I thought would make them irrecoverable.Can anyone enlighten me ?

VoG II 21:10 05 Nov 2010

Almost certainly temporary copies of images found on the internet, Try CleanUp! click here

gourmand 22:54 05 Nov 2010

The only way to actually delete files ie. pictures is to re-format your harddrive, as a normal "delete" just allows the file to be written over, however if you wish to make these files un-readable, free software such as "file shredder" enables you to over write the "free space" on your drive with layers of "gobbldegook" to make them un-recoverable.
Hope that helps.

Channel 15:36 06 Nov 2010

Thank you both.I've now used CleanUp and deleted many items.(I used it in demo mode first)It's something I wouldn't want to use often as it deletes not just the temp files but the cookies for my homepage and others I visit regularly.It's a pity you can't specify files to keep as with CCleaner.I'm surprised Ashampoo Winoptimiser7 hadn't deleted them all.I wonder if the offending pics I had were indeed temp files as they were .jpg and not .tmp. CleanUp didn't list any .jpg files to delete , so would they still be there? (I don't want to use Photorec again to find out.)

hatrickj 18:48 06 Nov 2010

Just a thought and question,

When files are recovered from a disk, are the actually deleted ones moved into the chosen recovered files location, or merely copied to it?

If the latter ISTM that using a shredder would still leave the old deleted images on disk.

Am I stupid or right?

Because of my doubts I used wipe free space in CCleaner

john bunyan 18:55 06 Nov 2010

In CCleaner, Options,Settings,You can opt for various secure delete options -up to 35 passes, but it would take hours I guess.

hatrickj 20:00 06 Nov 2010

@john bunyan Blimey, to need 35 passes I'd have to have the codes to start a nuclear war. Wouldn't three be enough mostly?

john bunyan 20:34 06 Nov 2010

Yes, of course!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?