Recover Windows 8 product key

Electronic_Eric 17:09 11 Dec 2013

Hi,

My harddrive earlier this week bricked itself. So i now need to install a fresh copy of Windows 8 on to my computer. One issue is that i believe it requires a product key during the installation and the product key is not on the bottom of my laptop. I've found that there are programs out there to recover the product key from the bios but that requires a fully working copy of windows 8 which i do not have any more.

What can i do to extract my own product key for windows 8 that came with the laptop that i bought, so that i can re-install a fresh copy of the OS on to a HDD.

Thanks

Simsy 20:14 11 Dec 2013

This freebie will do it;

click here,

Simsy

Regards

Simsy 20:15 11 Dec 2013

AHHH...

Just reread your problem... That prog will need to be installed on a working copy which you don't have. Sorry!

Regards,

Simsy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:52 11 Dec 2013

On systems that come with Windows 8 pre-installed, the Product Key is embedded in the BIOS of the motherboard. When you reinstall Windows 8 on that computer, the Product key is automatically applied to the new install.

sharpamat 08:43 12 Dec 2013

As already advised you will not require the COA only the recovery madia to use on the replacement HD that will then install Win 8 with the correct Key.

Your system should have had recovery media if not with it you would have been prompted to make your own following purchase. either on DVD or USB drive ( normally the later with Win 8 ) This can be used to restore to factory settings on your new HD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?