Recover Thunderbird messages

JerryH 20:45 14 Dec 2010

I want to recover an important email that I inadvertently deleted from the Thunderbird Deleted folder. Is it lost for ever? Or is buried somewhere on my hard disk whence i can recover it?

AroundAgain 20:53 14 Dec 2010

Have you checked your web site for emails. If you have POP account, maybe it is still there? Only a guess but worth checking?

Sea Urchin 22:47 14 Dec 2010

As long as you haven't compacted the folder the email should still be available. Follow this link

click here

JerryH 06:58 15 Dec 2010

No luck, Around Again, but thanks.
Sea Urchin, I've downloaded recovery program and tried various options, but I either throw up vast numbers of deletions or none at all! To narrow my search to just deleted Thunderbird emails, any ideas where I should specify program looks?

Sea Urchin 11:30 15 Dec 2010

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "downloaded the recovery program". You need to go to your Thunderbird Profile - open it with Notepad for example - and find the Inbox (no extension)

This link explains again in a slightly different way - follow the clues and you should be able to find your missing email

JerryH 09:18 17 Dec 2010

Sea Urchin, I downloaded the program from the link you suggested!
I did what you said, opened Inbox using Notepad, but nothing appeared, even after giving it a while to get the electrons moving. Do have any ideas? (There's definitely something in Inbox - 15000KB)

Sea Urchin 09:51 17 Dec 2010

There are several program downloads advertised at the top of the page - don't touch those.

The solution starts further down the page - it begins:

Before you start, close Thunderbird and best perform a backup. At least make a manual backup of the files you are going to work with!

Open your Thunderbird profile folder. Generally this folder can be found under C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles.

By default, the Application Data folder is hidden. To make it visible go to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\ and click Tools > Folder Options and open the View tab. Scroll down to Hidden files and folders and check Show hidden files and folders. Click OK to save and you should be able to see the Application Data folder.

etc etc etc

Sea Urchin 09:53 17 Dec 2010

Just follow the procedure as above

JerryH 07:27 19 Dec 2010

Thanks, Sea Urchin. Sorry to seem incredibly dumb, but I can't find C:\Documents and Settings! I on Win 7 64-bit and have enabled "Show Hidden Files", by the way. Can tell me how to get at it (I certainly never had such a problem with XP)?

orsta 09:13 19 Dec 2010

For Vista and I presume 7 your Thunderbird profile is located at "C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\<Profile name>\"

You could also try asking at the Mozilla forum pages here "click here" for help.

c

Sea Urchin 09:17 19 Dec 2010

In Win 7 it should appear under C:\Users\Your name\.....

or use WindowsKey+R to open run box - and type in

%appdata%

click OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?