Recover outlook pst files

tims31 22:30 29 May 2010

Hi,

My outlook pst file has gone over the 2gb allowed (2007) and now outlook will not even open.

I have tried to reduce the file size using microsofts 2gb152 tool and then the scanpst tool but this has no effect.

There are loads of outlook pst recover tools for download but they want $50 to recover the data. Is there any program out there that will recover the pst files cheaper or pref free please?

Sea Urchin 00:07 30 May 2010

Outlook 2007 actually has a 20GB limit - but you could try PST File Splitter. There is a free download for splitting single files, and each file is then individually usable by Outlook.

click here

If you have at some time upgraded your version of Outlook from 2002 or earlier then it's possible that the brought forward PST file might only have a 2GB limit.

tims31 00:35 30 May 2010

Hi Sea Urchin.

My Office install is a fresh install not upgrade but still seems to have a 2 gb limit?

Have looked at the reg entries for this but according to the MS KB site it should be located at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\PST" but that isn't in my Reg???? The policies folder isn't there.

I have now managed to restart outlook by deleting the original outlook.pst files and recovering from the backup but need to increase the 2gb limit.

Sea Urchin 00:48 30 May 2010

The Outlook\PST file is a hidden file within a hidden folder - so you need to go into Folder Options and select "Show hidden files and folders" and then you should be able to find it OK. Then increase the limit as shown here:

click here

Afterwards you can re-hide the files/folders.

tims31 23:00 30 May 2010

The folders are already un-hidden but that still isn't in the Reg. It show "Software," then "Policies," then "Microsoft," then the only "system certificates" nothing else.

lotvic 23:34 30 May 2010

Have a look click here
see if it is here:
The user preference location for the registry entries is located in the following path in Registry Editor:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\PST

tims31 23:50 30 May 2010

Yep, looked in there and its not there either. Currently adding the reg entries manually as per the KB although my reg only starts at microsoft so having to add the whole path acording to the KB.

Will let you know the outcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017