recover my data from laptop hdd

rsturbo 20:42 03 Jun 2015

my laptop hdd is not visible in windows wehn i connect via usb to sata. the laptop wont boot so i thought to connect to another pc and recover data. the hdd is shown in windows but only as a drive letter windows or dos both cannot read from it. help pls!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:17 03 Jun 2015

The fact that it shows with a drive letter is good news, means the drive is probably physically OK

Bad news is the file structure is corrupt

first try check disk on it

type

chkdsk /f /r x:

in the search box where x is the drive letter of the usb connected drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:19 03 Jun 2015

note there is a space between chkdsk and /f another between f and / and another before x:

rsturbo 11:54 04 Jun 2015

thanks for reply. all i am getting is an underscore cursor blinking _ any ideas?

rsturbo 11:59 04 Jun 2015

ps i am using command prompt as windows does not recognise drive. the greem bar at the top keeps pulsing but never ends pulsing

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:53 04 Jun 2015

Is the chkdsk command not working in command prompt?

rsturbo 10:19 05 Jun 2015

i just get a blinking underscore (as if its waiting) chkdsk works on other drives just not this one :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 05 Jun 2015

what does the drive show in disk management?

csqwared 16:50 05 Jun 2015

You could try a Linux Live CD to resolve your problem. Burn any of the distros to a cd/dvd (Mint or Zorin have good GUI) and run the disc. It doesn't install anything to your box but you might be able to access your data either by selecting your drive and reading the files or running 'Gparted' (one of the apps within Linux) which has an 'Attempt Data Rescue' option under the 'Device' tab of the menu.

csqwared 17:10 05 Jun 2015

Should have said - if you use the Live Cd it's a little slow as it's reading everything straight off the disc.

bumpkin 18:15 05 Jun 2015

As it is showing a drive letter you could try this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?