recover lost product key Windows XP.

jack 12:08 06 May 2010

In a recent post a non operating scanner proved to OK when tried on another machine.
Implication therefore duff cable or a Windows[XP Home] problem.
The owner has the Window Home Disk- stored in a CD wallet and has discarded the original jewel case.
So it may be likely this item will be needed if I under take repair or reinstall operations.
A Google of recovery tools- some of which have to be paid for- some are free and one my protection blocked as a dangerous site.

Any comments please on Product Key recovery would be most welcome

VoG II 12:11 06 May 2010

Try this click here

kristain 12:14 06 May 2010

Try to download a free key finder and have it automatically search your computer for your Windows xp product key.

Hope it helps.

click here

jack 12:25 06 May 2010

Have downloaded both and installed on my 'Tools'
stick

birdface 13:55 06 May 2010

This from another thread.

kristain's link has nothing to do with your problem, and at best is spam. But it's also a suspect site - avoid.

Also the free version of SIW will show the product key if you look under secrets.

birdface 13:56 06 May 2010

Oops.
click here

jack 20:06 06 May 2010

I guess 'kristians' link must be the one my protection blocked.
But as it happens Panic I need not have- when this afternoon I returned his scanner, and whilt he was under the desk plugging in the scanner power supply, I was able to casually look his 'tower over' and there suck to the side was the Win Key label- what a clever PC builder- A local chap I had recommended

tullie 20:21 06 May 2010

If your friend is using the serial number,and you use it on yours,Microsoft will reject it wont they?

lotvic 22:16 06 May 2010

Your post is correct in content, But,

I think you find that Jack is repairing friends pc OS on friends pc not his.

tigertop2 22:24 06 May 2010

If anyone really wants to keep a record of every licence, piece of hardware etc associated with their computer just install the free Belarc Advisor. It gives you 7 pages or more on everything you want to know about your personal PC.

See here click here

I have used it on all my PCs for many months now and it is a very effective piece of free software

jack 09:37 07 May 2010

Lotvic is right tullie.
Fear not we are all on occasion guilty of misinterpretation the intent of a post.
Especially mid/late evening after dinner and perhaps a bevvie warming the gizzard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)