recover and import windows live mail

rsturbo 22:18 14 Sep 2014
Answered

my computer has died. have bought a new one, the hdd from the old one still functions. i need to import the emails from the old hard drive to the new computer and preferably my contacts too. i use windows live mail and was using win7 as my operating system. i was using pop3 and did not leave a copy on the server! please can somebody tell me how to do this? i have a sata to usb cable so can access the old hdd easily.

thanks for any help

lotvic 00:09 15 Sep 2014

Unless you moved it, your old store folder is

{oldsystemdrive}\Users{user}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

and Storage folders is a sub-folder of that folder. You will have to select Show hidden files, folders and drives at Folder Options > View in Control Panel.

The store folder contains your calendars, account settings, account folders and the message database index as well as Storage folders.

You may have to rightclick and take ownership of the old harddrive and folders etc.

copy complete storage folders to your new C: harddrive (to a folder on Desktop or in My Documents) Then you can open your new WLM and import them. (importing works best if folders are on the same harddrive)

rsturbo 22:00 15 Sep 2014

ok thanks will try that, and report back!

thanks you

rsturbo 22:29 15 Sep 2014

ok, i looked into that, the storage folder contains the following folders (nothing else): deleted items, drafts, imported folder, deleted items, sent items. however in the windows live mail folder i have a folder with my email domain name on it (www.mydomain.com) inside are the following items: deleted items, drafts, inbox, sent items and junk email (these are all folders), it also has a OEACCOUNT file named account(followed by a load of letters and numbers).

is this what i should be importing? but where is my contacts kept?

rsturbo 23:41 15 Sep 2014
Answer

i imported the one with my domain and all was right. the contacts i found in windows live mail contacts dbstore 15.4 folder in users app data etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?