Recording streaming audio

Dirk Diggler 18:27 14 Aug 2008

Have just set up new PC and installed Audacity which is what I have always used to record streaming audio.

However, I cannot get it to record what is coming through my speakers

The drop-down box which you would normally use to select Line In, Microphone etc is greyed out

If I go into prefernces under Audio I/O the Recording Device box is blank

If I go into Control Panel under Audio devices for recording it shows Line In and Microphone

How can I get Audacit to recognise that I want to record streaming audio

Cheers

Happy37 12:48 15 Aug 2008

Dirk

Might be a silly question, yet are your speakers plugged in, the volume not on mute, and have you also checked that you can get sound to play with other things/events in Windows via Control Panel, for example?

Please try and let me know...

Good luck.

eedcam 13:35 15 Aug 2008

In audacity you choose stereo mix from the drop down box if you want to record streaming audio
Also you need to have recording enabled in windows audacity can only use what is available
which version of audacity the stable or unstable one are you using check out its own forum

dukeboxhero 20:27 15 Aug 2008

click here have you had a look here Dirk Diggler scroll down to Mixer Toolbar has no recording sources

Dirk Diggler 20:34 15 Aug 2008

Thanks for all the replies

Aparantly this is a known problem with Vista and a solution can be found
as follows

1. Right click the Speaker icon in the Taskbar (right bottom corner of your screen)
2. Choose Recording Devices
3. Click Recording tab (if not opened), right click in the listbox (middle part of the dialog box), choose Show Disabled Devices
4. Scroll down and right click "What U Hear" item (or "Wave Out Mix" or something like this, the exact name can vary), choose Enable

100andthirty 21:23 15 Aug 2008

I don't know whether this solved your problem. For me it didn't. However I spent about £15 on software called "Total Recorder"; click here

this overcomes any issues with the absense of "stereo mix by installing a specific audio driver to harvest straming audio. It also suppresses other Windows sounds whilst recording.

If the stream is capable, Total Recorder can also record faster then real time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone