Recording Radio 4 to mp3 on a USB stick

dms_05 11:27 21 May 2009

What's the simplest way to record a play on Radio 4 to an USB stick using mp3 format. Can I use the same method from the BBC iPlayer? Never tried it so I don't know how.

dms_05 13:30 21 May 2009

Sorry should have said 'record on my computer from an internet stream'.

Rahere 13:56 21 May 2009

If you are doing this for your own use it might be OK to use a program like Audacity:
click here

you'll need to add the LAME plugin in too for .mp3

UK Sub 13:57 21 May 2009

click here

Download Audacity first and then Lame_v3.98.2_for_Audacity_on_Windows.exe from click here open the file and save it where you can find it when asked (the c:\Program Files\Audacity is as good as any)after recording Radio 4 from the BBC web site. File/Export as MP3, it will ask you for the lame_enc.dll - browse to where you saved it (as above and click on it, it should be straight forward after this.

dms_05 14:21 21 May 2009

UK Sub - I can't actually record the BBC audio stream using Real Player as the REC facility is disabled. Can I use Audacity to do this?

dms_05 14:22 21 May 2009

UK Sub - sorry, just read the link properly. Many thanks for your help!

UK Sub 14:55 21 May 2009

I have just tried it and it worked, but I left out Step 2 in the first link and just left it on 'What u Hear' rather than change it to Stereo Mix (see what works best for you) let me know if you get it to work.

dms_05 08:38 22 May 2009

UK Sub I've tried but cannot get Audacity to recognise any input other than Microphone. So I'm stuck at the first hurdle!

dms_05 11:44 22 May 2009

I've now changed laptops and am running XP SP3. I can at last record from a stream on my laptop! Some success. However downloading and unzipping lame to the Audacity folder, then choosing it in Audacity preferences, and trying to Export a test file Audacity returns an error saying it can't find the mp3 encoder - despite it been present and my pointing to it manually. Not my day!

ashdav 11:52 22 May 2009

direct downloads available click here

UK Sub 22:49 22 May 2009

In Preferences/File Format/Find Library is the file pointing to lame_enc.dll ?

Not (Show All Files) lame.exe ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires