Recording Problem

jaycup 14:14 16 Jan 2008

I like to record sound tracks from my DVD's or streaming radio. I need to adjust volume for stereo
mixer, or line volume and they are greyed out in the Recording control window. In fact everything is greyed out including microphone volume. Only the
Recording volume control is active. My computer is quite new and I run XP Pro (SP2)
I upgraded the RealTek HD Audio Driver to the most
recent, but the problem is still there.
Any info would be appreciated.

Woolwell 15:26 16 Jan 2008

Which software are you using to record?

jaycup 15:35 16 Jan 2008

I don't think this is relevant as I should be able to access the recorder options in any event but I use two programmes : Freerecorder and All sound Recorder XP

bert52a 16:09 10 Feb 2008

not a lot of help but I'm having the same problem.I do loads of my own voice recording and play around with it in Audacity but the Stereo mix controls have greyed out.I've tried a suggested update from microsoft but it makes no difference.It's such a major problem when you use pc mainly for this kind of work but there seems to be precious little on the web about it.

jaycup 17:07 10 Feb 2008

I wish I had an answer for you but after nearly two months I still have not been able to resolve the problem. There are plenty of people who have the problem but no one with a solution. I have an MSI P35 Motherboard and a Realtek ALC888 Audio Chip. MSI have confirmed that there is a problem with running under Windows XP and all the record options are greyed-out, but,they maintain that if you set the Audacity preferences to 'Microsoft Sound Mapper' you can still record but this is not so and I have not been able to achieve any recordings. If you have this Realtek chip then you can get the microphone working. If you go into the Realtek Folder and look for MicCal.exe, double click on this and this will set up your microphone for recording purposes. I hope this helps you.
The other odd thing is that I can get the recording options to work under Windows Vista. I have set up a duel boot system with XP (I prefer XP which is my main system)but if i am stuck i can boot into Vista and use the record function. Things sgould not be like this but so far I am stuck with this situation. Please pay a visit to my posting on the MSI forum, it is very informative and there are some good scree-shots which illustrate the problem.

click here;topicseen#new

eedcam 19:29 10 Feb 2008

Regarding recording dvd soundtrack why not rip the soundtrack out lot quicker than messing around in real time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017