Recording LP's on my computer

Pineman100 19:02 03 Jun 2010

I'm trying to transfer my old LP records to my Windows 7 laptop, using a software package that I was given years ago (and which has gathered dust in a drawer ever since!). It's called Magix Audio Cleaning Lab.

I've installed it in XP compatibility mode, and it seems to run OK. But I simply cannot get it to recognise the incoming music track.

I've taken the phono output leads from the turntable into a pre-amplifier. Then, from the pre-amplifier, further phono leads go into an adaptor which converts them into a single stereo 3.5mm mini-jack. I've plugged this into the microphone socket of the laptop.

Audio Cleaning Lab offers to record from one of three input sources:

* Integrated microphone array (IDT High Definition)
* Stereo Mix (IDT High Definition)
* External Mic (IDT High Definition)

I've tried all three, but none of them seems to allow ACL to recognise the incoming track.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong, please?

rawprawn 19:26 03 Jun 2010

Can't say what is wrong as I have never heard of that program, but I have used Audacity very successfully
click here

Technotiger 19:42 03 Jun 2010

I have Magix ACL latest version - it is grreat. However, I doubt whether a Laptop mic socket would be powerful enough to do what you are trying. Mine is on my desktop PC with a very good Sound Card, which has all the necessary connections - HiFi Unit to separate Audio Mixer to PC Sound Card.

Technotiger 19:43 03 Jun 2010

PS - I agree with rawprawn, Audacity might be better in your case.

Pineman100 09:32 04 Jun 2010

TT, I suspect you may be right about the laptop. Fortunately my old XP desktop computer is still sitting nearby. I have successfully used ACL on that some years ago, so I guess the quickest solution is going to be to fire up the old beast again - provided I can remember how to make all the sound card connections!

rawprawn - if ACL doesn't do the job on the old desktop, then I'll give Audacity a try. In fact, I might experiment with it a bit anyway, to see how it compares with ACL.

Many thanks again to you both for your thoughts and ideas.

Technotiger 10:39 04 Jun 2010

I am sure you will soon sort out your connections - Line-out on Granny-phone to Line-in on Soundcard :-))

Pineman100 12:36 04 Jun 2010

Just to let you know that I chucked some coal into the old XP desktop, and made all the appropriate connections.

It worked fine!

I think you must have been quite right about the limitations of my laptop sound card.

May thanks again to you and rawprawn.

PS: I haven't tried Audacity yet, because I've got an urgent project to get on with, but I'll definitely do so in due course.

Technotiger 13:25 04 Jun 2010

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017