Recording live music on PC

ricvic 12:48 16 Dec 2004

I have to record organ music for a number of Christmas services in church. I shall be using a good quality electronic organ as the sound source.

In the past I have plugged into the standard stereo out sockets on the organ and recorded to cassette tape. This time I want to try recording from the same sockets to PC.
The questions:
I assume that taking a line from the sockets into a PC will not damage the PC (voltage etc). Please correct me if I'm wrong - I would not want to find out the hard way!
I can either record to a toshiba laptop (2.4, 512mb) with built in sound, or to a PC (1.8, 512mb) with sound card. Both running XP home. Plenty of disc space on either. Which will be better for the job (leaving aside portability)?
Finally, I know the windows media player is not right for the job. What do you recommend?

Thanks, in advance, for the advice.
R

Technotiger 16:58 16 Dec 2004

Hi, pc with soundcard would be much better than laptop with onboard sound. I have the Audigy 2 soundcard and this has recorder (to hdd) within the software. I would advise checking your card and software to see if you have similar.

Merry Christmas.

pj123 17:17 16 Dec 2004

Well my preference is for LP Recorder and LP Ripper which I use all the time. Get them from click here

But if you want a free recorder try JetAudio free from click here

ricvic 17:58 16 Dec 2004

THank you for these responses. Helpful, as always

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?