Recording device used by DLA

bravo charlie 12:28 20 Jan 2004

When I try to access a new CD to format it in Windows Explorer (XP), I get the following message:
"Your primary recording device is being used by DLA. Please wait until DLA is finished then try again."
What exactly is DLA and why does this happen?
How can I get it to finish whatever it is doing so I can formay my CD?

Is this relevant click here ?

roygbiv 12:50 20 Jan 2004

DLA = Disability Living Allowance

Sorry, could resist. Alan

bravo charlie 12:55 21 Jan 2004

Thanks [email protected]@m for your input and the link.

I am reluctant to remove any software without more understanding of the problem but from your link at least I know a little more about DLA (but not enough!!)

I have a new system with 2xDVD/CD R/RWs run on XP.

I just deleted some images from a CD-RW and when I then tried to write some new info to the CD I got the same old message "Your primary recording device is being used by DLA. Please wait until DLA is finished then try again.
This remains, preventing me from using the E drive again until I reboot the system at which point I get a warning about possible data loss from any open programs followed by "data being updated".

When the system reboots I am back in business.

However, for some reason I am not able to properly write and re-write to CDs. This is, I suspect due to some error on my part.
For example, how do I ensure , when copying file to a CD, that they are not copied as read only files? This seems to happen (but not always)even if the source file is not read only. I then cannot delete the file and for some reason cannot re-format the CD.

If anyone can help with this I would be most grateful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?