Recording Audio from DV Cam with DV/Firewire cable

Llwydyn 21:59 03 Dec 2007

Having recorded my daughter's annual Xmas concert at school with a DV Camcorder, I would like to create a CD of the audio. Anyone know of (possibly free)software for capturing audio only via the DV/Firewire cable and burning it to CD?
OS is Vista Home Premium.

Technotiger 22:07 03 Dec 2007

A great free program is click here

Llwydyn 22:17 03 Dec 2007

Thanks Technotiger - not sure if it will record audio via the DV/Firewire cable.

Technotiger 22:20 03 Dec 2007

If the audio plays on the PC I don't see any reason for it not being recordable, even though I have not used Audacity, I can record audio using the facilities on my Audigy2 Sound card.

Llwydyn 22:51 03 Dec 2007

On my old Windows ME computer I was able to use Creative Recorder to record 'what u hear'. Not sure how I can record audio only on this computer from a source via the DV/Firewire cable.
Having searched online, it seems that most software records audio via inputs on the soundcard.

Technotiger 23:00 03 Dec 2007

My Creative Audigy2 card includes a Firewire port, so I am guessing that I could record from a camcorder - though I have never tried to record just the audio, I am sure it would be possible.

Technotiger 23:07 03 Dec 2007

My card - click here

Llwydyn 23:15 03 Dec 2007

The only software I have been able to find online for capturing audio from dv/firewire is by River Past. There may well be others.
My other route could be to connect my DV Camcorder to my DVD recorder via the DV/Firewire cable to create an audio CD. However, this method would be more difficult to edit unwanted audio.
I think that the soundcard on my computer is the Creative Soundblaster X-fi Xtreme Audio. There does not appear to be any recording software on my computer with this card.

100andthirty 09:40 04 Dec 2007

think of this as three tasks: 1 getting the sound from the DV camcorder to a medium the computer can read; 2 editing it, and 3 doing something with it.

Assuming you have a socket on the camcorder that would allow you to connect a 3-phono lead (yellow white and red plugs) you could use a twin phono socket to 3.5mm jack cable and plug that into your sound card line input. Then you could record in audacity- and edit in audacity. otherwise you could do as you suggested - record the CD in you DVD recorder and then rip the CD to your hard drive; then edit in audacity

JanetO 09:46 04 Dec 2007

Another way round it is to delete the video part and then you can save and edit just the audio. I think you can do this with TMPGEnc click here

Technotiger 09:52 04 Dec 2007

This is an extract from information about your particular sound card ...

"Whether you record in your bedroom or have a dedicated studio, X-Fi should be at the heart of your set-up! With pristine quality plus one-of-a-kind audio processing features, it delivers the perfect creation experience for both 16-bit and 24-bit recording and playback!"

So it would appear that you do have recording capabilities - being a Creative Soundblaster type of card I would have been very surprised if Recording was not part of its creative abilities.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?