Reconnecting to Broadband after system restore

Mike_R 20:09 19 Jan 2008

I've fully restored XP apart from getting into Windows Mail. The PC is connected to broadband via a Netgear DG834G box and the WEB came up without my having to do anything. I've double checked the Mail details re-entered in Tools etc but can't make Tiscali accept it. What I'm wondering is whether I should reload the Netgear CD and re-initialise something or the other. Any suggestions welcome.

STREETWORK 20:41 19 Jan 2008

When you set up the Netgear after a full system reinstall it is always wise to disable anti virus and firewall first. Try this and remember to reset the AV and FW...

Mike_R 11:24 20 Jan 2008

Sorry to be a bit dim on this, but I don't want to make matters worse. Are you saying that I do need to re-set up Netgear in the PC? If so, how come that I can browse the WEB but not use Windows Mail?
Perhaps I should add that the PC is connected to the Netgear box by cable, not wireless.

Mike_R 19:10 20 Jan 2008

Poking around the settings, I'm wondering what the setting in Tools/Accounts/Properties/Connection should be for the Netgear router? Should the Always Connect box be ticked or not? And if so, what should the setting be?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?