Recommendations for Unlimited Broadband ISP

webber_man 21:29 08 Nov 2006

Hi,

I am currently with Pipex (have been for 4-5 years now) and am on their Solo 1000 plan. I pay £23 per month for (i believe) a 1mb speed with no restrctions service.

I haven't had any real problems at all in my time with Pipex, but i am more than aware of better deals being out there.

I have a main PC which connects directly to my broadband connection and is connected 24/7 (although not always actually being used), then a laptop which connects wirelessly (and is connected about 18/20 hours per day) and a further PC which connects to the same connection wirelessly and is used for 6-8 hours per day.

None of the computers are used to download a lot of anything - so it's not like all three are forever downloading mp3's, video files or antything else that would use lots of bandwidth. These file types are downloaded from time to time, but mainly the connection is used for what i would consider 'normal' use - emails, browsing, downloading the odd few mp3's and streaming video etc.

What i am asking is who provides a very similar service to which i am already receiving, but for less?

I am not worried about being tied into a 12 month contract if the service is faultless, but i do not want any restrictions (inc. downloading or connection sharing).

I have looked on click here and there are a few intersting deals - but can anyone please recommend a service/plan/ISP, based on what i am looking for?

Any suggestions and ideas are very welcome.

Thanks.

Jackcoms 21:34 08 Nov 2006

I use Tiscali's 2MB service (including free 'phone calls 24/7 to 'normal' 01 and 02 landlines) at £19.99 per month.

Tiscali has its detractors but I've been with them for many, many years without problem.

Jackcoms 21:36 08 Nov 2006

I should have added that the service is completely unrestricted - no download limits at all.

birdface 21:42 08 Nov 2006

You could try this one, click here far as I know they are supposed to do Free upgrades to higher speeds after the new year, If you cannot get NTL, Telewest,Is the same company now, so should have the same products and prices,

birdface 21:44 08 Nov 2006

That click here did not seem to work, try, click here

Stuartli 21:48 08 Nov 2006

Just ring up Pipex, say you require a MAC and, more than likely, you will be offered a far better deal cost wise plus a higher connection speed (if your phone line is capable of doing so).

I'd stick with Pipex if possible - I've been with it for more than 10 years (dialup account) and it's still one of the best ISPs.

webber_man 09:05 09 Nov 2006

Thanks for the replies. V useful.

I hadn't thought of tinklin' Pipex's bell, so i'll do that first and see what they say.

Any further recommedations welcomed.

JayDay 09:24 09 Nov 2006

A truly unlimited BB provider is difficult to find. Tiscali and many others have what they term a 'Fair Use Policy' or 'Acceptable Use Policy. Which in effect means it isn't unlimited. Don't be fooled by the term unlimited. The ISP definition of unlimited appears to be different from everyone else's!

If you want an unlimited BB package without any restrictions then be prepared to pay more than your £23 a month.

JayDay 09:25 09 Nov 2006

I would go for Stuartli's suggestion first. It's amazing how often they have a 'special offer' running just at the time you phone up requesting a MAC code.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?