Recommendations for router please

Rockarch 18:44 09 Mar 2009

Hi
I need to get a router to be used with a wired pc and maybe occasionally wirelessly with an oldish laptop on a new bb connection in a satelite office. I really don't need high performance wireless and want to be economical.
There seem to be quite a few old model routers still for sale on Amazon etc but I have no idea how to make a decision between them.
My only experience is with a Belkin router that I bought & set up 4 years ago and has been working without any trouble since. Am I going to be reasonably just picking one from Belkin or Netgear even if they are old models.
What do all you wise folk think?

Tech Guy 18:55 09 Mar 2009

You won't go wrong if you get a Belkin or netgear, you can pick a second-hand one from ebay quite cheaply.

Just please don't get a router with a name you don't recognize, i.e. a cheap chinese one - they are more trouble then they are worth.

When you get it, pop up a post and we'll help you set it up.

Rockarch 18:59 09 Mar 2009

Thanks - that seems sensible advice. I will stick to one of the brand names.
Any suggestions regarding the millions of different models around?
I see that my old Belkin router is still available for sale - maybe I should get one of those as at least I know how to set it up!

Tech Guy 19:11 09 Mar 2009

I never recommend specific models, but if you feel commfortable with your old belkin, just get that one.

The oldish named branded routers are nearly all the same when it comes to spec, you should be fine with the belkin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?