Recommendations for a new printer

RayProud 23:09 06 May 2003

Hi all,

My 11 year-old HP 550C printer is now hopelessly outdated and I'm tired of forking out for £20 cartridges for it.

I don't print very much at all but when I do I only need black - not colour but decent quality is important to me. I need something that will stand up to occasional use without the ink drying up and to avoid other potential problems because of occasional use.

I had considered a home laser printer. Would a laser be a better choice than a inkjet? Will the running costs be less and would I experience any problems if the printer wasn't used regularly? I anticipate printing maybe 3-4 times a month.

I'm thinking of the Kyocera Mita FS-1010 which received a top award in PC Pro recently.

Thanks.

TOGGY 23:31 06 May 2003

If you find the printer works ok and doesn't clog up from the little use, and you still get cartridges for it......then i would keep with it. Honest..To cut your costs even more try using compatable or refilling, but only if cost is a problem as I wont refill cartridges. Kev

sunnysingh 23:56 06 May 2003

Epson are good as cartridges cost less than HP.
Epson are a little noisy though??
Long term cost u will save money than if u bought a HP - but HP are like mice very quite - but exp in long run - as ink refills are costly

Pesala 23:57 06 May 2003

Though the Kyocera may be a fine printer with low running costs it doesn't sound like you do enough printing to justify spending that much. Look here for the Samsung 1200 laser recommended by ?dstow who does a lot of printing in his office:
click here

If you want high quality go for an Epson EPL laser like mine: I use toner refills to keep costs down.

rins36 23:59 06 May 2003

RayProud

try pricestorm.com 4 inks all types

billyliv 00:34 07 May 2003

Hi, Buy a re-fill kit, All the older printers can be re-filled because in them days the manufacturers didnt think that the user had the savvy to re-fill. That is why nowadays they are chipping the carts. cheers, Bill

_Treb_ 13:03 07 May 2003

I use a Canon i550 around £100.00, it uses individual ink tanks so you only need to replace the one that's empty. Also have a Canon LBP660 for letters etc. Both great but then I used to work for Canon.

RayProud 17:25 07 May 2003

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for all your suggestions. It seems going down the laser route also has its drawbacks. For now I'll get my cartridge refilled and see how long it lasts. It will take a lot of cartridges to match the cost of a laser plus an eventual drum and toner replacement.

Ray.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?