Recommendations for driver etc. software

Ian in Northampton 18:15 02 May 2015

Hey team. My wife's laptop is in desperate need of a reinstall. Do any of you have any recommendations for free software that will allow me to easily identify them, save them and then reinstall them? I used to use DriverMax, which used to work quite well, but I'm thinking there's probably something better. What I absolutely don't want is one of those cursed pieces of software that keeps looking for/installing updated drivers.

Devil Fish 18:20 02 May 2015

laptop may have a back up partition you can reinstall from, If this is the case it should have all necessary drivers included ,worth investigating

Ian in Northampton 18:34 02 May 2015

Thanks. It doesn't. It came with the option to make back up/reinstall disks, which I'm currently doing - but I fear, as the laptop has seen considerable use, these won't be much good at restoring the system to its original state.

Ian in Northampton 18:35 02 May 2015

To add to my above post: not least because I'm pretty certain it shipped with Vista, but now has W7HP...

rdave13 20:20 02 May 2015

Double Driver will do all you want. The help files are handy but its quite easy to use. You have the choice of saving all or just hardware drivers. Restoring is simplicity itself.

rdave13 20:24 02 May 2015

This is just for the drivers only. Installed software will have to be reinstalled obviously. If you have licence keys for any installed software then search for a decent key finder program to find them if you have no other records.

Ian in Northampton 09:56 03 May 2015

Thanks rdave13. It seems good. Just reinstalling Windows now. Pray for me...

john bunyan 10:06 03 May 2015

Ian in Northampton

Good luck; not sure if you used an ISO disk up to date W7 or from W7 OEM. Last time I did the latter, it took a day or two to download all the updates, the most important of which was SP1!! But I suspect you have that in hand.

john bunyan 10:07 03 May 2015

I meant install!

rdave13 12:45 03 May 2015

Ian in Northampton , what could possibly go wrong.......

Are you up and running yet?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?