Recommendation for simple wireless modem router.

bjh 11:39 13 Feb 2007

I'm looking for a simple to set up wireless modem router. I don't claim to know that much about wireless networks, but this is for my sister, who knows even less! She's keen to do the setting up herself. (At the moment she thinks she's too dependent on me for computer maintenance, and at times I'd have to agree!)

There's no need for long range (laptop & main computer are always under 30 feet from the phone socket), nor for high speed. There are only the two computers to network. Obviously, a reasonable amount of security would be needed, but I don't think a state-of-the-art router is required.

I lent her my Dynamode R ADSL C4W EG (Ebuyer, quite good in general, nothing special, but not easy, but after reading its meagre instructions and complex set-up, she said she'd rather revert to a 5.25" floppy disk than go through all that hassle!

So, can any of you recommend a make/model with a really straightforward set up routine, preferably cheap rather than advanced. Ideally, something that would (quote) "make sense while installing it, rather than make me feel an idiot.." .. when she can't do it!

Apologies if I don't close topic too quickly; she's going to look in on the site in ready expectation of help, while I might be away for awhile.

Thanks, in advance for any help you can give her. As her computer problems sometimes occur at 6am, I'd be slightly glad for her to be able to sort this out herself!

Ashrich 21:28 13 Feb 2007

click here One at the top of the page is good quality and not too expensive .

Ashley

Strawballs 22:28 13 Feb 2007

For ease to setup I always go with Linksys.

bjh 16:25 15 Feb 2007

Thanks Ashrich & Strawballs.

Details emailed to my sis (but I did tell her to look in here herself).

Strawballs... any linksys model recommended in particular?

Anybody else have a recommendation?

Thanks again.

Aargh 17:48 15 Feb 2007

Belkin any day

Strawballs 22:30 15 Feb 2007

My Linksys is for cable but this is the one a friend of mine has and is more than happy with.
click here

bjh 16:11 16 Feb 2007

Any good links to "step by step" instructions that I can forward to her?

It's interesting quite how garbled I can make a description of something I have limited knowledge! If I keep telling her how easy it is, she's going to be convinced it is extremely difficult.

She DID look in, and read these postings..... SIGN UP SIS.... they/we are all friendly here ... well... excepting... um, no, mebbe I'll shut up now!

Thanks from me, guys. I'm going to order her choice this weekend, and she or me will let you know how things go.

bjh 10:52 20 Feb 2007

I'll tick this as resolved, but I'd welcome any further links for her, or other recommendations.

Thanks all who replied.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?