Recommend good wireless printer?

polymath 21:55 20 Mar 2009

My 9-year-old HP Deskjet 970 cxi is still excellent, except that HP won't write a driver for Vista, which I've migrated to (Vista's basic driver for it doesn't use all the printer's options that I need).

While I'm at it, I might as well get one with wireless capabilities, that's easy to use in a (not yet created) network.

As you may have gathered, I find it worth paying a bit more for good build & output, & hopefully to pay a bit less on ink etc in the long run.

Quality of output (& accurate colours) are important to me (speed can be sacrificed for that, no problem). Size & appearance aren't important (I prefer black/white/grey, but could always get the paintbrush out at some point if it's beige, purple etc!).

I live in rural Ireland, and am driving to the UK this Sunday (22nd) for 2 weeks, including London. The quickest & simplest way for me would be to choose a printer now, and buy it in the UK. I haven't got much time to spare before I go - can anyone recommend a printer(s)? Just a pointer to a make/range would help.

Thanks!

polymath 22:09 21 Mar 2009

Just bouncing this on the offchance anyone can help (running out of time!)

polymath 20:20 02 Apr 2009

Forgot to mention that I recently bought a good scanner (to complement the Deskjet, or so I thought before the driver business). I'd rather spend a little extra on better print quality than have 2 scanners (unless standalone inkjet printers have become obsolete?)
Also, the more connectivity options the better.

It would be great to buy the printer in London, before going back to Ireland next Tuesday, as I'd get better value.

Any pointers?

interzone55 20:41 02 Apr 2009

Try this, it's HP

click here=

polymath 13:09 03 Apr 2009

Thanks Alan - you put me on the right track.

The HP Deskjet J6980 looked just what I wanted, but the otherwise glowing user reviews had a 'but' that spoiled it for me; some people had a spring holding a cartridge break, wrecking the circuits behind it (most unlike HP). I just didn't want to risk it.

I looked at HP's other standalone wireless inkjets and settled (so far) on the Officejet Pro 8000 (dearer, but with extra features to match). But it's so new that I can't find any reviews, and ascertained that it's not in any shop in London yet.

My favourite online store (Pixmania) has it though. No time for delivery while in London, so I'll order it when back in Ireland (subject to reviews, which may have appeared by then). So I didn't manage to take advantage of the euro's strength against sterling, but have now homed in on a printer amongst the bewildering choice.

Thanks again!

LANDCRUISER 13:34 03 Apr 2009

do you get qvc at home because ive just bought a new printer from them a brother dcp-6690cw all in one printer its a a3 printer great bit of kit,go to there web site click here uk site there you will find other makes as well,you have 30 days to try them out & if you do not like it for any reason you send it back ,i have bought a lot of things from them they are a great company to deal with hope this help you out.

polymath 22:13 13 May 2009

Back in Ireland, I searched for home printer recommendations from fellow fusspots about faithful colours; that is, in art and photography forums. (For instance, I want to be able to make reasonable copies of my watercolours). The consensus seems to be that Epson is the best at colour (for instance, HP being less good at getting blues right).

Having checked lots of reviews, I've settled on the Epson Stylus Photo PX700W. I didn't find anyone faulting its prints (the 6 inks probably helps). It also has lots of input options (and its minimalist look is a bonus for me, as are the good speeds).

It's an all-in-1 machine, and I've now come round to that. It means that (being wireless) it can live down in our main room and be handy for both of us.

The only downsides I found mentioned were; output paper tray quite flimsy (we're used to handling delicate things anyway); and scan quality a bit lacklustre (should be fine for general copying, there's that good scanner in my studio bit, and I'm hoping to network everything soon). Also it doesn't do fax, but neither do I.

I've just ordered the printer from Pixmania, at €169 (thanks Landcruiser, but QVC looks like US-only, and doesn't have Epson). It should arrive next week; I'll report back when I've had a chance to see how it performs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?