Recognition Problem

Ragley 09:07 18 Jun 2006

Hi

I've had a problem for some time that concerns the recognition of my Desktop (named Desktop)machine when trying to connect to my Laptop (named Laptop). Both m/c's run XP with SP2. I've tried connecting using direct Ethernet cabling, cabled connection through a Router and Wireless connection. The Router and Wireless connections are OK in that I can connect either or both machines to the Internet at the same time. Both machines have identical Protocols installed. The Desktop 'sees' the Laptop, and can access all shared files. The Laptop can 'see' Desktop, but when trying to connect by clicking on the Icon, the following message appears:

\\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

The network is only used for the transfer of files, so I can use a Flash drive, but we all have to move on through this technological world and at the moment, my vehicle has stalled. Ant advice that can be offered will be gratefully received.

Yours frustratedly
Dave R

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:16 18 Jun 2006

1. Have you got the relevant folders / files set as shared?

2. Is your desktop firewall preventing incoming messages from the laptop?

3. Is your laptop firewall preventing outgoing messages to the desktop?

Ragley 15:43 18 Jun 2006

Hi Fruitbat

Thanks for the reply.

I've switched off the Firewalls on both machines, and the problem still exists. All required files are shared.

Thanks
Dave R

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:52 18 Jun 2006

Password / wep key set in router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?