Recieving Video Clips

Vulcan617 14:28 10 Feb 2003

My Pc is running with an AMD1500 processor.My graphics card is a TRident Video Accelerator Blade 3d/Promedia 8mb. My monitor is an AOC17"lcd.
My problem is when trying to recieve video clips on the internet. If I set my monitor to 1280 by 1024 and 16 bit colour the video clips flash continuously on and off.If I set 32bit colour and a lower screen resolution the video is OK.Is the trouble with my video card and if so can I fit something like a Radeon AGP card into a spare PCI slot. I am a 68yr old trying to understand all this modern technology.

MartinT-B 14:59 10 Feb 2003

An AGP card will not work in a PCI slot. You need an AGP slot on your motherboard.

These are Brown - PCI slots are (usually) white.

This is an explanation of AGP

Accelerated Graphics Port

A dedicated graphics bus slot on PC motherboards. Designed by Intel, AGP operates at 66 MHz and transfers data at a rate up to 528 MB/sec. By comparison, the PCI slot that most graphics cards currently use runs at 33 MHz and has a maximum transfer rate of 132 MB/sec.

AGP's greater bandwidth will allow game and 3D application developers to store and retrieve larger, more realistic textures in system memory rather than video memory, without incurring a dramatic performance hit.

Copied from Cnet Glossary.

Someone else may be able to give you more hep with your current set-up.

MartinT-B 15:11 10 Feb 2003

Hvaing noticed that the above still assumes that most users have a PCI graphic card connection, I have emailed Cnet and asked them to update the Glossary!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?