Recent Error messages NOD32

Furkin 10:29 30 Dec 2007

Hi all, Hope you’re all having a great Christmas & not too much hassle with your new items !

For the past week or so, I have been getting an error message via NOD32. I might get this 1,2,3,4 times per day.

The top line of the message is:

szAppName : nod32krn.exe szAppVer : 2.51.8.0 szModName : nod32krn.exe
szModVer : 2.51.8.0 offset : 0004bb45
Obviously there is more data when I open it up.

Can anyone help me to decipher & fix the problem please ?

I know that I havn't given you a lot to go on yet - so please tell me what you need to see & how to retrieve it & ill send it.

All the best for now

Furkin

pk46 11:56 30 Dec 2007

This is an antivirus software sounds like it's corrupt and requires reinstalling.
click here.

DieSse 13:57 30 Dec 2007

A Spanish help site shows a very similar error, cured by re-installing.
click here

I notice you have version 2.5 - a new download will be version3 (upgrades are free for paid versions.)

Furkin 09:57 31 Dec 2007

thanks guys,
so you think it's the program at fault,,,,, and not that it's trying to tell me something about another program/virus ?

This was on the machine when I bought it 18 months ago, so I don't know whether it's a 'paid for' one, or not.

I certainly don't have a copy of it.

If I need a new one, are there any freeware ones ?

((Are the 'Dragon' CD's still around ?))

I'll have a look at the spanish site now [hope it's in english ?!]

thanks people

Furkin 10:02 31 Dec 2007

DieSse:
sorry to inform you that your Spanish link dosn't seem to work at the moment (unless it's just me ?!?!)
I get "page cannot be displyed".

thought you'd like to know.

cheers

johnnyrocker 10:10 31 Dec 2007

link works ok here xp pro ie6 you could google for free av as there are plenty around.

johnny.

Furkin 10:34 31 Dec 2007

thanks johnny, i'm still not getting it,,,, maybe this is part of a problem creeping in eh ?

I will look for an alterative AV prog, but as this one has been on it since I had it, I thought i'd try to get it working properly.
If not - I don't mind trying something else - any recommendations out there please ??

johnnyrocker 10:37 31 Dec 2007

personally i use avast which has quite a good rep, also AVG and many others but it is largely a matter of preference.

johnny

DieSse 11:57 31 Dec 2007

"This was on the machine when I bought it 18 months ago, so I don't know whether it's a 'paid for' one, or not."

NOD32 is by annual subscription - so it may just be so out of date that you've caught a virus.

If you start it up you can get to see the date of the latest update.

Or then again it might just be a pirated copy - and it's faulty.

If you change to a freebie, and it's an elderly system - you'll probably notice a diminuation in performance. It's a top AV both in detection of viruses and in speed/performance terms.

Furkin 10:20 02 Jan 2008

DIESSE:
I have checked for the last update, & it's 01/01/2008 ! I also get "Your version of NOD32 is up to date. No up-date necessary".
When I click o.k I get the message: NOD32 Kernel Service has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".
It seems to be up-to-date & should, I think, be running properly !?!?
JOHNNY:
I have used AVG before & recommend it to others. If NOD32 is corrupt, out-of-date or otherwise at fault, i will get rid,,,, but I don't want to 'jump the gun' if it can be repaired.
-----:-----
Incidentally, whilst looking for help on the initial error (szAppName : nod32krn.exe szAppVer : 2.51.8.0 szModName : nod32krn.exe
szModVer : 2.51.8.0 offset : 0004bb45) I see that lots of people have a similar problem (which some people put down to Norton updates [I don't have Norton]) but so far, I don't see a remedy.

thanks folks

DieSse 12:43 02 Jan 2008

"It seems to be up-to-date & should, I think, be running properly !?!?"

If you have a non-pirated, current and up to date version - then you should have a valid username and password for it. (it's payable annually - but it's possible you may have a multi-year subscription)

With the name and password you should download and install the latest version (version3).

It's possible the previous owner may have been getting the notifications about updating.

It may, of course, not be a NOD problem - similar errors seem to occur for many programs, with the actual fault lying elsewhere in the system.

If it's a second-hand system, it may have had software installed previously which is now conflicting - if Norton is touted as a possibility, it's possible there are some old remnants on Norton in the system - it is a known difficult program to uninstall thoroughly.

The only sensible advice I can give is to download and install afresh, using the latest version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?