Recent connection problems - Orange

luthier 12:50 20 Nov 2006

I've been with Orange/Wanadoo/Freeserve for years and on broadband for about three years without a problem. Suddenly over the last week or so the connection has been very unreliable. Sometimes it just won't connect and sometimes it will drop a connection. I've a Linksys WAG54G wired to my main PC which again I've used for a couple of years without a problem and as far as I know I've not changed anything. I do have an extension lead from my phone socket - but that's not been a problem before and I have tried connecting to the main socket direct. This yields a slight improvement but still not perfect. I have checked with BT and I should be able to get 8mb as I'm less than a mile from the exchange. I've never had more than 1.9mb. Any suggestions from the experts out there would be much appreciated.

Dipso 13:52 20 Nov 2006

Although you didn't see a speed increase, did your connection speed increase when you connected through the master socket? Go to click here and choose your router then post your line stats.

FWIW extensions don't work well with up to 8 Meg you'd be better of using a cat5 network cable instead.

If you have never seen more than 2 Meg it may be that you are stuck on a 2 Meg profile...common problem. Go to click here and post the results which will tell us if this is the case. Try it early morning or late evening if it's busy.

luthier 14:12 20 Nov 2006

Thanks for the response - I'll try it tonight.

luthier 19:22 20 Nov 2006

Tried connecting to the main socket but speed not improved (about 1900mb). The stats you requested are posted below:

ADSL Line Type G.DMT
ADSL Line Coding FAST
Line Attenuation (Down):40 (Up):31
Noise Margin (Down):6 (Up):6
Total Output Power (Down):19 (Up):11
Current Rate DownStr: 2272(K) UpStr: 288(K)
ADSL Line Status UP
Relative Capacity Occupation (Down):86 (Up):84
FEC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
FEC(INTERL) (Near):0 (Far):0
CRC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
CRC(INTERL) (Near):0 (Far):0
HEC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
HEC(INTERL) (Near):0 (Far):0
Showtime last(sec) 4
ADSL_FW_Version ASW_R13_9_38
ADSL_Board_Type ANNEX_A

As you mentioned, the speedtester is busy at the moment, so I'll try again later and post the results. Thanks for you valuable input so far...

Dipso 20:50 20 Nov 2006

I'm confused...are Orange supposed to have upgraded you to "up to 8 Meg" as these figures
Current Rate DownStr: 2272(K) UpStr: 288(K) tell me that is not the case. Your download speed for a 2 Meg line is actually very good, almost the maximum.

Whether or not I think your problem is noise/interference on your telephone line. Your downstream noise margin is 6 which is very low. I would say you need to check your wiring to find out where the interference is coming from.

Before we go any further, were the stats above whilst connected to the master socket or throught the extension?

luthier 22:31 20 Nov 2006

The modem was connected directly to the master socket.

Speedtester results as follows:
The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user ********** and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1667 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 84.67.29.163, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and is running on Windows XP.

luthier 22:35 20 Nov 2006

By the way I hope Orange did transfer me to 'up to' 8mb because they certainly charged me £20 to upgrade.

Again thanks for your help so far....

luthier 08:40 21 Nov 2006

I've just been on to my Orange account and it is stated as 2mb but I can upgrade for free. This is not what I signed up for originally but thanks to your comments at least I seem to have got to the bottom of the problem. I've now requested my upgrade - so I'll see what happens. Thanks again for your input. I'll post this as resolved for now.

Dipso 11:04 21 Nov 2006

Before the upgrade goes through I urge you to check your internal wiring.

The low downstream SNR reading given in your routers stas is too low. If you put your details into this checker click here i.e. 2Mb, 40db DS ATT and 6 dbSNR you will see that it advises you are unlikely to achieve speeds above 2 Meg with your set up as it is at the moment.

Take a look at this click here If you are unsure of anyhting I will be happy to advise.

If you proceed with the upgrade withiout checking the wiring, apart from the low connection speed, you may end up with a very unstable connection and have problems when reporting faults to your ISP.

HTH

luthier 11:28 21 Nov 2006

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely check the wiring out tonight. The second link looks particularly useful. I'll also try substituting microfilters. I indicated in my first post that the connection recently was intermittent so I'm sure you are correct re. the wiring. I'll let you know how I get on....

luthier 19:59 21 Nov 2006

I think your suggestion re. the wiring has done the trick. I substituted the microfilter I was using and now I get the following stats...

ADSL Line Type G.DMT
ADSL Line Coding FAST
Line Attenuation (Down):30 (Up):16
Noise Margin (Down):23 (Up):28
Total Output Power (Down):20 (Up):10
Current Rate DownStr: 2272(K) UpStr: 288(K)
ADSL Line Status UP
Relative Capacity Occupation (Down):35 (Up):37
FEC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
FEC(INTERL) (Near):0 (Far):0
CRC(FAST) (Near):1 (Far):0
CRC(INTERL) (Near):0 (Far):0
HEC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
HEC(INTERL) (Near):0 (Far):0
Showtime last(sec) 61
ADSL_FW_Version ASW_R13_9_38
ADSL_Board_Type ANNEX_A

Am I correct in thinking these are ok for a fast connection?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone