Receiving strange e-mails-what's the scam?

joesoaps 01:30 07 Nov 2004

I keep receiving some very strange e-mails an example of which follows,I have used the same spelling as the sender.

" I Like Your Car And I Will Like It To Buy.

I am mr Frank John an auto trader,i but fairly used vehicle and re-sell,I saw your car for sale on the daily online posterband am i interasted to buying the cars.However i am want to know the present condision of the cars.You can reply to me via alternative adress e-mail xxxxxxcars @ yahoo my diract phone nomber is +44xxxxxxxxxx "

Any idea what this type of e_mail is all about,is it a moneymaking scam,a virus of some sort or even a practical joke,needless to say I have never advertised a car to sell anywhere.Maybe someone can shed some light on what it's all about.

Regards joesoaps.

hugh-265156 01:45 07 Nov 2004

i suggest any emails you receive from a sender you dont know, do not even waste your time opening them, just delete them. Thats how many people get infected with a virus if it contains a virus with attachment.

if you want to reduce the ammount of spam you recieve in your inbox downloaded to your computer read and delete your email online if your isp provides this service dont download it to your computer or use something like mailwasher (halfway down page) click here

install it and set up a friends list and use it for a week or two and blacklist any spam you get then set it to delete blacklisted messages and the ammount of spam you get should be greatly reduced. you can safely read mail using this without ever downloading on to your computer.

end 01:47 07 Nov 2004

presumably you have opened the message, or have you previewed it in mailwasher?
I understand that a good "rule of thumb" is that if you do not recognise the sender , chuck it out unopened; thre are a lot of bugs and nastieds going around; you have only to look at some of the forum threads to see some of the hazzards awaiting anyone ; if in doubt, chuck it out:)

daba 01:49 07 Nov 2004

it sounds like it is trying to illicit a response.

once you reply, whoever is perpetrating this knows it has got a 'live' e-mail address - expect to get spammed with ads, offers, you've wons, etc etc.

remember the rules....

if you didn't ask for the email
if you have not requested any info from the sender
if it sounds too good to be true
if it is asking for any personal information

don't reply, it won't be for your benefit, it will be for theirs.

Gaz 25 01:51 07 Nov 2004

I have had many e-mails claiming to buy 150 sticks of memory from me, which should be shipped to africa or london.

Now, what confused me is I do run a small computer business - but I state clearly I don't provide to them areas.

I got a few e-mails like this.

What was odd though, is the e-mail headers were strange and the reply address didnt match the source, etc.

Due to lots of investigation, I have come to the conclusion that if you reply it simply tells a spammer that your address exists.

Some people will reply to that, saying I'm not selling a car or whatever.

I was tempted to reply to the mail I was sent, but it was all in capital letters WITH bad typos lile yours.

Spam! Just bin in.

However, it is a warning for people about these new spam techniques.

I assume it's to prevent detection by spam filters (because it's so normal looking, keyword scanners or bayesan wouldnt pick it up unless it scanned headers and tested vadility. Once you have verified your address, it gives them a target.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:36 07 Nov 2004

This is nothing to do with 'harvesting' email addresses, there are much easier ways to do that. The scam originates from *ahem* Nigeria and goes like this....click here

G

watchful 08:51 07 Nov 2004

It sounds very much like a 'rogue' buyer I came across on eBay - a complete time-waster - and that was asking for the goods to be sent to S.A. Some people may have fallen for it but I didn't.

Treat these e-mails just as you would the regular mail that comes through your letterbox - bin them.

Stuartli 09:24 07 Nov 2004

Where there's money there's always a fiddle....

spuds 11:24 07 Nov 2004

The car will never leave your sight, but your money will.This scam as been doing the rounds for quite sometime now. Bin the email.

You could notify click here or have a browse> click here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?