Receiving empty emails

Enoch 12:54 10 Apr 2007

I occasionally receive emails which are not addressed to me (Not showing ANY "To" address, totally blank, and they are without a "From" address or subject matter. They contain no message whatsoever. All I see is a time arrival. I cannot put these emails into my blocked email list because they do not contain ANY address to block, nor any subject to block.

I am on XPhome, I am fully updated on virus protection (daily checks) and my PC is completely scanned for virus's weekly. For emails I am on OE6

Anybody with any thoughts on my question???

Kate B 12:55 10 Apr 2007

Could it be something to do with the way OE6 handles html?

recap 13:13 10 Apr 2007

Try looking deeper in the email. Right click the email and select Properties/Details (Tab), you should hopefully be able to see all the header information.

Enoch 14:36 10 Apr 2007

recap-----I will do what you suggest and come back to this string when I have a new one arrive. I delete these immediately, bypassing the "Delete Items" folder so I cannot do your suggestion immediately

Enoch 18:36 11 Apr 2007

As requested by "Recap"

Header information

Date: "Todays date"
To: "None"
Subject: "(no subject)"

€dstowe 18:47 11 Apr 2007

Try highlighting the blank areas where the text should be. Sometimes these emails are written in white and are thus invisible - highlighting will show the text. What I mean is click and drag the cursor along the line. If necessary, change the colour of the text.

Be very careful - these messages may have an unwanted payload.

Enoch 21:43 11 Apr 2007

€dstowe---------tried that, nothing shows in the subject area.

Other than to send me a virus, I cannot see any point to the emails received and I check daily by scanning and daily for virus prevention updates.

Enoch 00:11 14 Apr 2007

^

p;3 00:30 14 Apr 2007

have you tried using

click here
using it you can preview the mails AND their headers on server first; saves getting junk on your comp; you delete from server all unwanted rubbish

€dstowe 07:10 14 Apr 2007

I'm on BT and I was told that the BTYahoo spam trap can automatically remove the contents of virus carrying emails but, for some reason not explained, it leaves the empty message on their server.

jack 08:35 14 Apr 2007

These happen for a variety of reason it seems not all sinister.
Treat them as spam and delete.
The best way to avoid any unwanted 'stuff' getting any where near your 'InBox' is to read all mail via your WebMail account on your ISP's server and delete unwanted from there.

The way to do this is to remove your E-mail client[OutLook Express etc.,] from your start list[Go to START/right click on the program/left click on 'Remove from list']
Then only start the program once you are satisfied only the mail you want will come in - when done - exit the program

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?