Reccmendations for a new mobo ?

Gav5 12:21 29 Apr 2008

I've just fried my Abit FP-In9 SLi mobo and need to replace it with something similar. I don't really need the SLi, has got to accomodate Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb ram, Arctic Freezer 7 Pro and be certified for Vista 64. Am thinking of a P35 board. Anyone any suggestions ?

Ditch999 12:48 29 Apr 2008

Microsoft will love you! New motherboard usually means new license.

I am Spartacus 13:39 29 Apr 2008

I've just bought an Asus P5K Premium Wifi Black Pearl P35 click here which is great if you're interested in overclocking but probably overkill otherwise.

I've had a Q6600 running at 3.6GHz without a problem and it currently has a E8400 running at 4GHz again without a problem. It does need good quality RAM though for best performance.

It's had good writeups for it's overclocking potential.

citadel 18:59 29 Apr 2008

asus ip35 choice of a few. they have the q connector to save the hassle of fiddling with the case usb etc wires.

Gav5 21:59 29 Apr 2008

Thanks folks, i hear Gigabyte p35 boards are getting good reviews, any reason why i shouldn't choose this over the asus ?

I am Spartacus 20:10 30 Apr 2008

No reason at all if the reviews are good. I went with Asus as I've been happy with their motherboards in the past and the reviews for this one were good. I wanted onboard WiFi if possible, DDR2 rather than DDR3, plenty of SATA ports and the option for decent overclocking. The Asus voltage dampener option appealed as well.

Gav5 20:32 30 Apr 2008

Thanks again, i'm definately between the Asus p5k Premiunm and the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R. It'll just come down to which does the better deal. I'll mark this as resolved now, thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?