Recalcitrante router- kick it into action

jack 14:31 21 Apr 2009

Recently I had trouble getting a new router to set up because it would not respond to its IP address that kicks the set up the firmware.
I contacted my ISP and he talked me through getting it going using CMD. [Start/ Run/CMD]
which brought up a command line window into which the IP address was tapped, then some other commands- and off it jolly went.

Can anyone point me to a script to achieve this so that I can print it off?
One of my flock is having similar troubl

crosstrainer 14:36 21 Apr 2009

need to know make and model of router, you need to use the ping command.

jack 16:37 21 Apr 2009

Ping. -right The router will be TalkTalk's own. will be seeing the guy tonight -will take a poke before the Guinness and Malt get flowing ;-}

brundle 17:02 21 Apr 2009

It'll be Telnet ( click here ) - but that's what the web based interface is for, to people having to learn such things - get another router, or check your computer/cables/drivers.

brundle 17:03 21 Apr 2009

"to prevent people having to learn such things"

Stuartli 17:30 21 Apr 2009

Info on setting up routers for TalkTalk (make sure that the MTU is set at 1432):

click here

click here

(Routers)

click here

click here

Help and Support advice on BB:

click here

Stuartli 17:33 21 Apr 2009

Re: IP addresses (further info):

click here

jack 19:50 21 Apr 2009

A Couple of the pages- item 2 and 3 could not be found- but the rest has enough info I think for him.
I have printed them off- that'll keep him busy for as bit.

Stuartli 19:53 21 Apr 2009

They should work (they are TalkTalk Members' Forum pages).

Also see:

click here

This new router cannot be used with a previous router power supply as they are different (if your friend has already had a TT router).

jack 10:00 22 Apr 2009

and got nowhere.
The router - properties reads -'connected' but I suspect that means router to computer not to the net.
I doing command check came across 'No Driver'.
Checked system manager hardware LAN- sure enough no driver.
What I now have discover is would the driver be part of the MoBo utilities or is it part of the XP set?
If instead of simply reloading XP he reformatted- then perchance the MoBo disk needs digging out.

Stuartli 10:22 22 Apr 2009

In Device Manager, check Network Adapters>Properties re drivers.

The LAN drivers should be on the motherboard drivers disk.

However, it will probably be best, once installed and running, to update these drivers (and probably the rest) from the mobo manufacturer's website.

You could download the LAN drivers yourself if you have a memory card and memory card reader, before installing them on the friend's system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?