Rebuilt PC will not start

WightRob 09:07 05 Nov 2006

I started off by upgrading some components and ended up replacing everything but the case, HDD and DVD drives.

I have used the following components:
PSU - Blue Storm 500w
Motherboard - Elitegroup 755-A2
CPU - AMD Sempron 3000
RAM - Kingston DDR SDRAM 512Mb
Graphics Card - nVIDIA GeForce 6

I connected all the power leads and case leads as instructed to the motherboard, as well as power leads to the components. There is no real indication of which way round some of the small plugs go (i.e. Power, Reset, Sleep) so I don't know if it is important.

With the mains power lead connected I switch on the PCU power switch which illuminates showing power. When I press the case power, nothing happens at all.

As the case is old, the case fan is powered from a standard power connector rather than the dedicated socket on the motherboard. It occurs to me that there may be a saftey feature to stop the PC firing up without a case fan.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Catastrophe 09:23 05 Nov 2006

"With the mains power lead connected I switch on the PCU power switch which illuminates showing power. When I press the case power, nothing happens at all."

I had this recently. Have you got a separate 12v plug to the M/B and have you checked your RAM is firmly seated?

WightRob 10:03 05 Nov 2006

Thanks Catastrophe,

I have 2 connectors from the PSU to mainboard,
a 20 way ATX1 and a 4 way ATX12V, both properly seated. Also the RAM is firmly seated.

So I don't think this is the problem.

Catastrophe 10:22 05 Nov 2006

"There is no real indication of which way round some of the small plugs go (i.e. Power, Reset, Sleep) so I don't know if it is important"

My manual identifies which way round they go from description such as Ground or by colour. You could try with just the Power On/Off connected which is how mine is working at the moment.

WightRob 10:41 05 Nov 2006

I tried that last night, with just the "Power" connected (both ways round). Didn't help then. I'm not with the machine now but I'll give it another go when I get home. I guess that I could connect just the mainboard and disconnect all power leads to drives etc, just to see if the fans fire up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:03 05 Nov 2006
  Catastrophe 11:20 05 Nov 2006

I cannot find my thread in Search but my PSU had blown, even though the yellow light stayed on but the fans stopped almost immediately. In my case it was a new PSU and fixing the RAM securely. Iagree with unplugging etc. to see if fans work.

Good Luck.

WightRob 05:52 06 Nov 2006

I have just disconnected everthing except the mainboard power supplies and the case "power on" plug, firstly with the main and auxillary mainboard connecters in place.
The result was, as before, no activity.
Then I removed the auxilary plug, this time the CPU fan started.
I tried it again with the case fan connected to a standard line.
Both fans ran.
I tried reconnecting the aux plug, just in case it had not been seated correctly but there was still no activity.
I didn't try reconnecting the drives but I assume that all the power is there now.
I am curious about the aux power supply to the mainboard.
What is it for? Do I need it? My old mainboard does not have one.

Rob

ed-0 06:38 06 Nov 2006

Yes you do need the 4pin 12v connected to the motherboard. This powers the cpu.

If, when you connect this, it stops every thing. Then you are into these probabilities

1) the cpu is not connected to the motherboard correctly or the fan.

2) the cpu is seriously damaged

3) the motherboard is damaged

4) the psu is damaged

Apart from the first option, which you can check. All the other options need to be tested by either substitution or by trying the components in a different machine.

Catastrophe 07:38 06 Nov 2006

WightRob

It is the 4-pin 2yellow2black you are connecting and not the 4-pin which might have been attached to the 20-pin connector?

WightRob 11:40 06 Nov 2006

You are right, Catastrophe, there are two 4-pin plugs. I am not with the machine at the moment so I cannot check the colours. However, I do have the Blue Storm manual with me and it shows the 4-pin mainboard connector linked to the same loom as the 20-pin connector. So I'm pretty sure I used the correct one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?