Rebuild of HP laptop - Does a CD boot disk exist?

JohnS 14:27 06 May 2004

Hi
I have to rebuild someone's HP laptop and need to run fdisk, format etc.... But - being a laptop, it don't have a floppy drive so can't run my floppy boot disk with CD support - though I can boot to CD but how do I (or can I) make a bootable CD to replace the standard floppy boot disk. Does such a thing as a boot CD exist.

I can't format C:as it says it in use (by me being on it presumabally).
It is running XP home and riddled with virus that Norton is unable to fix - hence the request to rebuild.

Eric10 14:39 06 May 2004

Virtually all CD writing software allows you make a bootable CD. In Nero just select the Data, Bootable Data Disk option, put a bootable floppy into your A: drive and select this when asked for the boot files. Finish the wizard and it writes a bootable CD for you.

Taran 15:05 06 May 2004

If you start the laptop with the Windows XP disk in the CD drive and let it autoplay, you can follow the setup process through the first few stages and select a full installation where you will be given the option to format the drive.

Windows setup loads files into a ramdrive in virtual memory, so you can run setup, including format C from all Windows installation CDs from Windows 98 onwards without a boot floppy disk.

I would say though, that most notebooks ship with a recovery disk or disks and these should be used if available. Notebooks often have some pretty unusual device driver requirements and using a Widnows XP CD on its own is running the risk of loading the OS without the best drivers for the hardware in the laptop.

If you go to the HP UK website and run a search for the notebook model you can download the individual device drivers to make sure you can install and configure everything properly.

Some walk-throughs on installing Windows XP from the CD can be seen here:

XP Home click here

XP Pro click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?