rebooting pc

lime st pirate 15:37 13 Dec 2006

i need to reboot my pc to its factory settings,can i still use my norton protection or will doing this delete it?thnx

The Kestrel 16:01 13 Dec 2006

If you reset your computer to its original factory settings, everything except those programs which were on when it was new, will be removed. This includes all software you have installed and all document files, emails etc. You should save any important files either to a pen drive or burn to a CD or DVD. You should also download Belarc Advisor click here and run this before resetting. This program will list all your current software and the keys for reinstalling them.

The Kestrel 16:05 13 Dec 2006

Have you tried repairing any problems using your Windows OS? There is usually an option to reinstall Windows without loosing all your programs and files. You will probably need the OS original CD though to do this. If you have a recovery partition on your hard drive, you may be able to use that to solve your problems as an alternative.

lime st pirate 20:05 18 Dec 2006

thnx,i,ll av a go at that.

Diodorus Siculus 20:09 18 Dec 2006

If you lose Norton, there are lots of free alternatives available for you to try.

lime st pirate 20:11 18 Dec 2006

thank,s,diodorus,will use them if all else fails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?