Reboot

Molly_Don 19:23 25 Jun 2009

When my laptop been on standby for an hour or so, I have to reboot everytime to get back onto the internet, this has been happening since I installed the latest MS updates a few weeks ago, any advice please?

Rahere 12:39 26 Jun 2009

Windows proabably shuts the network connection when your laptop goes to sleep/standby. Plus MS updates sometimes prevent network access by changing the power saving settings on your network card to enable Windows to switch off the card to save power.

I'm on XP so I go to Network Connections, right click Local Area Connection>Properties>General tab
click Configure (next to the network card box), select power management tab . here you'll see two options: 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' and 'allow this device to bring the computer out of standby'.

The second tick box could be what you are after. In my case only the first one is ticked and I untick it if I have connection problems. The second tick box could be what you are after.

Molly_Don 13:05 26 Jun 2009

Thx Rahere

My laptops is Vista home basic, does that make any difference to your suggestions?

Rahere 13:12 26 Jun 2009

The words used in Vista can't be too far away from this - can you get to the network section?

Molly_Don 15:00 26 Jun 2009

yes

Rahere 15:33 26 Jun 2009

from above - assuming that the language is similar In Network Connections, right click Local Area Connection>Properties>General tab
click Configure (next to the network card box), select power management tab . here you'll see two options: 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' and 'allow this device to bring the computer out of standby'.

Molly_Don 15:54 26 Jun 2009

I'm stuck

here's what I'm doing: Start > control panel > network & internet > but I can't see network connections?

Rahere 15:56 26 Jun 2009

it's there under manage network connections

Molly_Don 16:12 26 Jun 2009

OK, almost done, cheers, I'm not at the pwr management tab,the one ticked is: allow this device to turn of the computer to save pwr.

Should I change it and tick allow this device to wake the computer

Rahere 16:16 26 Jun 2009

The second option is the one I thought you might need one but try the settings and see.

glad we got there

Molly_Don 16:20 26 Jun 2009

Rahere, it won't allow to tick the 2nd box,I'v unticked the 1st box, but it's still not allowing me to place a tick in the 2nd box

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?